RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 RR... it began shaking uncontrollably at about 70mph. I've had an alignment & my tires balanced... and I just had the shocks (in the front) replaced. NOW it begins the shaking at about 40mph. I don't know what else to do???

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: 1995 RR Shakes Uncontrollably... I've tried all that i know

Universal joints would be my guess. Possibly bushings, but I lean towards the u-joints.

dave

·
Registered
199 Posts

piprover said:
Universal joints would be my guess. Possibly bushings, but I lean towards the u-joints.

dave
Ditto. I had exactly the same with my Disco. It was the front one.

·
Registered
153 Posts

U-joints. I've never heard of bushings causing uncontrollable shaking.

Colin

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts

Search "death wobble" or other such topics. There's lots of discussion about it. Rather common as the vehicle gets on in mileage.
1) Make sure all your steering rod ball joints are in good shape. Both ends of both rods (steering and drag link) (4 total), front and back of axle. Chances are they're OK, cause the alignment should have noted any problems.
2) Check pan hard rod bushings by turning the steering wheel while watching the front of the vehicle in relation to the tire. If the bushings are worn the vehicle will shift left or right slightly before the wheels start to turn. Cheap fix and really tightens things up.
3) Any looseness in the steering wheel? Wiggle the steering wheel when the car is just sitting. Is there slop? Look over the steering column connections, and ball joints(again) while a friend wiggles the play in the wheel.
4) Steering box adjustment? With the steering set straight forward there should be no play in the drop arm. You must first disconnect the steering rod ball joint from the drop arm to check this. Then just wiggle the drop arm back and forth, any play (at the position with the steering wheel centered) must be taken out with adjustment. Adjustment is made with fittings on top of the steering box.
5) CV Hub Swivel Joints. Check these last. Must raise wheel off the ground and wiggle tire holding at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. There should be no play at all.

I've spent this last year and 10K miles chasing the wobbles out of my front end. I found all these things wrong, except "5". For me, pan hard rod bushing replacement solved the uncontrollable (crap your pants at 70mph) wobble, but there's lots of other connections to be checked. It started at 150K miles...

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

Had this with an 1982 RR - eventually replaced the steering box - a flat had worn in it

·
Registered
286 Posts

Swivel pre-load and/or steering damper is my guess.
Dampers can develope a slack spot in the straight ahead position even when they seem 100% elsewhere.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Glad you brought this up. Noticed this the other day when I went to work. Felt like the stall warning on an airplane's controls. RRAATTATAATTTTTTTLEELEE, I hate that feeling YUCK. I was expecting to hear, the loud stall siren after it started to shake lol . I know my steering damper is shot, so I'll start there of course ;) .

·
Registered
29 Posts

Hi,I went through this about half a year ago.I replaced the swivel housing bearings and seals and adjusted the wheel bearings.This improved things,but,I was still experiencing the dreaded death wobble on occasion.
I rechecked the steering ball joints,they were OK,as were the panhard rod bushes.I then replaced the steering damper and that did the trick,no more death wobble.
The swivel housing bearings had slightly brinneled and,that,combined with the worn steering damper probably caused the wobble.Hope this helps.
Cheers `)

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts

Unfortunately, it is never a single thing causing the problem. It tends to be several things rolled into one problem. The steering damper may be hiding play in the steering system which has only come to light because of the main triggering issue - The wobble MUST start from something actually rotating. The problem is that anything else which has play in it (such as bushes, steering etc) makes that small wobble get rapidly more aggressive.

Do check and re-check the bushes. The outer bush may look ok, but the bolt through it may be worn out.

Do re-check the wheel balance and alignments, condition of tyres and rims, brake disc warp etc... As mentioned by Laurie, the pre-load on the Classic is very important.

·
Registered
4 Posts

by now u might have found the problem but i can suggest you loook at then fuel - ignition system as bad firing can also cause bad shakes.had that problem with mine and thought at about 55 to 65 mph the fourby was falling apart.turned out to be distributor cap in the end but i didnt find that unil i had replaced everything else.

·
Registered
27 Posts

cnfowler said:
U-joints. I've never heard of bushings causing uncontrollable shaking.

Colin
Well now you have. I had a long going problem which surfaced after I had the steering gearbox replaced. Turned out to be the bushing on the panhard rod assembly (NRC9728). You can't see the bushing without taking it apart, but what made me suspect it is that I saw some rubber coming out from the assembly end.

The shop that I took it to was very good, and they straightened the steering wheel, aligned the front end, and replaced the panhard rod bushings, the Rangie actually steers nicely now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts