RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the viscous coupling in my 1995 RRC. I'm putting a new bearing and new seal in the VC housing. Do I need to grease the bearing before putting it in the housing, or does it just get lube from the ATF that goes into the transfer case?

Thanks,
Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Since the seal is fitted on the outside the bearing gets lubricated by the transferbox lubrication.

I am not familiar with the viscous coupling setup but I thought the transfer box requires normal gear oil, not ATF

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Since the seal is fitted on the outside the bearing gets lubricated by the transferbox lubrication.

I am not familiar with the viscous coupling setup but I thought the transfer box requires normal gear oil, not ATF
borg warner tcase is lubed with atf, lt230 which is gear driven and does not have a viscous coupler uses gear oil.
upon installation of the viscous just fill your t case with ATF, the case has a passage which allows fluid between main chamber and viscous
chamber which allows for cooling and bearing lube.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I might just rub a little assembly grease on it just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Thanks. I might just rub a little assembly grease on it just for peace of mind.
sure it would not have a negative impact on the procedure, be sure to use some silicone sealant around the housing coupling lip in order to seal leaks, furthermore add a film of lubricant on the front seal lip where the yoke/flange rides in order to avoid dry run and future premature
leaks as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got everything back in without too much issue, just a little fiddly. I put the front prop shaft back on, and have some play in it at the viscous coupling housing. Not play when I rotate it, but some play when I push up and down on it from underneath it. It looks like the play is in the output flange where it attaches to the viscous coupling, and not the u-joints. I cranked on that output flange nut. Just wanted to know if play in this location is ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts