RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
Driving mostly normal as of late until today. Drove to a stop sign, fully stopped, and when i went to drive away the rpms went up but I didn't move. Transfer case in neutral popped up on the display. No sound was made at all indicating that it slipped out of gear. I moved the shifter through all gears, and no gear engaged. When I put it into Park there is a very loud "grinding/gears not meshing sound." It wont go into park and is stuck in neutral.
I searched past posts, and sticky's, but nothing found that has same symptoms.

Any thoughts on where to check first?

-Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
If it's saying the transfer case is in neutral, it probably is so it's behaving as it should. The transfer case has a motor that drives it between high ratio and low ratio with a neutral position in between. Neutral is selected if you need to tow the car without the engine running by fitting a fuse into position 11 in the BeCM fusepanel. What often happens is that the motor jams due to lack of use. How often have you selected low range? You should switch between ratios regularly to stop the mechanism from seizing. I suspect what may have happened here is that there is a fuse in position 11 but as the motor mechanism was seized, it has stayed in High range. With use the mechanism has freed itself and selected neutral, or almost selected neutral which is why you are getting the grinding noise. You'll need to remove the motor from the transfer case and manually put it back in High with a large screwdriver and take the fuse out of position 11.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
It can at times be tricky to remove the motor.
In that case or if you are as lazy as me, connect the big direction cables for seconds to a battery and run it back and forth.

Reconnect it and try with the push button on the dash again.
After a few times it usually works

If it is an automatic you try to shift the lever left and right in neutral, engine running

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the motor and I checked it for open circuit, it’s still closed. Then I put 12v to it and it spun very briefly. I tapped on the motor case and that got it to spin for a second again but seized up. I found a transfer case motor at a junk yard within a couple hours drive. That’s where I’m heading to tomorrow. I haven’t put transfer case into any position with a screwdriver yet. I’ll keep updates rolling in until problem is sorted.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
this is completely normal, it only moves a tiny bit.
now you have to check the inputs on the transfer box ECU plug. there are 4 state pins, you have to spin it back and forth till it is a valid state...HInt.. slightly more or less than high works, the intermediate state will sort itself out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No progress as of late. Ordered a transfer case motor due to it being seized. Looking towards the weekend for when I’ll get testing again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts