RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Recently bought my first project truck, a 1995 SWB. It's got a chrome bumper with the crush cans. The PO dented the front end pretty badly. I already replaced the fender panel (thanks RoverLand), but my next task is the bumper.

It's hard to find the chrome bumper for the 1995 with the crush cans. Can I install the older style "smooth" bumper from pre-95? Specifically, are the mounting points that attach the bumper to the frame compatible, or do I need to order the bumper mounting brackets from AB?

I know there is some concern of losing the crush can SRS functionality, but 1) I see the sensors are mounted on the frame inside the engine bay, not in the bumper, and 2) not sure if I trust the 22+ year old airbag anyways.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
The crush cans simply cushion bumper impact to keep the srs from triggering with too little impact. Without the crush cans it will take less of an impact to trigger the srs. If you wish to do any kind of a brush guard now would be the time to mount one from hard dash model...considerably easier to source and much cheaper. As far an actual bumper mounting I don;t recall how the cans equate into the mix. I never had my 95 front end apart and of my older Classics I only had one bumper off for replacement. However, as the frame did not change it may be possible to use older bumper mounts on the frame with matching bumper. Another option is an aftermarket Brooklands kit... just tossing it out there. :thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
They are interchangeable. I chose to do this with my 95’ as I didn’t want to modify the crush can covers to fit the brush guard. Also, as RRT mentioned, the older brush guards are easier to locate and are more affordable.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
They are interchangeable. I chose to do this with my 95’ as I didn’t want to modify the crush can covers to fit the brush guard. Also, as RRT mentioned, the older brush guards are easier to locate and are more affordable.
what lockett said, I could not see paying nearly 2000 bucks for a new one year production only bumper when I hit a deer. thus I installed a chrome front bumper out of a 94, straight bolt on fit no crush cans. I like the look seems "cleaner"

·
Registered
370 Posts
Frame is the same. I put my 1995 bumper/airdam/covers/fogs into storage, and installed a non-winch ARB bumper.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the quick responses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update here: pulled the chrome bumper off the truck, but found the new bumper still needs the frame brackets from AB to fit on the truck. My crush cans/bracket assembly was welded to the chrome bumper. Ordering new parts, will get this together soon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts