RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my name is rick i have a 1995 range rover classic lwb with a shifting problem in order to go in to reverse i have to go down to first gear then back up to reverse and thats the only way it will go in to reverse and when i try to just put it in drive it acts like its in second gear and at about 45-50 mph it keaps going in between gears like it does not know which one to pick.if any of you know what this problem is please reply and tell me :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
i would say you have a failed auto box but if you have not changed the oil and filter try this first if it makes no difference then it will be a new auto box

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same exact problem. Did you ever get the problem solved and if you did what was the problem? Some say it is the governor sticking???? Please let me know. :pray:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i have still not figured out the problem .........i change the tranny flued and the filter but it dident help one bit it looks like im going to have to buy a new tranny :( :crybaby2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't buy a new transmission yet. I have a friend in Washington that is going to look into the problem for me. My transmission shifts just fine if you manually shift it. It does not slip and when I changed the fluid it did not have any thing bad looking in the pan. I have got to get the transmission identification numbers and send them to him and he will look into it. Also from what I have read it could be the governor that is sticking causing the problem or some valve. If I find out what the problem is I will post it here. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could it be related to the linkage between the gear selector and the transmission? A friend had a similar problem in his old VW Jetta and it turned out that a clip had broken that locates the shift cable in the console. I'd definitely check this out before looking at replacing transmission. Maybe disconnect shift cable and shift it on the transmission itself and see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts