1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
It's ages since I've been on here.
I've had my DSE off the road for about a year after it failed the Warrant of Fitness test (New Zealand) due to leaking manifold. I don't know which one, but I took one good look at all that piping and decided it would be too expensive to sort out right then. Now I've changed my mind. At over 330,000 KMs the motor still runs well.

Meantime the EAS has gone down and I don't know why. I'm pretty sure I put in a new heat sensor switch for the pump a couple of years ago.
A couple of months ago I ran a Nanacom test with the motor running, and was told on here I should have done the test with the motor not running.

So, I've done that just now. It tells me that it cannot communicate with any ECU.

That's probably a bad sign, and what should i do about that, please

Secondly, it tells me something (I might have the details wrong as I didn't write it down on the spot) about being unable to communicate with the BECM.
What do I do about that?

Lastly, I found myself in a menu where I could change all sorts of settings I didn't know about; eg increase the potential top speed from 100 mph ( I chose 120, for the hell of it), have side lights and park lights on when I start the motor (a good idea to have daylight running lights on where I live), have the light under the bonnet on when I need it, and i forget what else, but there was more. Not sure if I can navigate my way back there again :-(

Many thanks.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
first thing check is the OBD port for corrosion. then check the 5amp diagnostic fuse in the under hood fuse box. It provides power to scanners

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
To connect to the BeCM the ignition must be OFF to connect to all the other systems it can be ON in position 2 or engine running, it makes no difference (in fact, most of the time it is better to have the engine running). The menu you found for daytime running lights is under BeCM, Settings, Lights, for the maximum speed, it is BeCM, Settings, Options. The 100 or 120 mph setting doesn't affect the car, it merely sets the maximum speed you can set the overspeed warning using the trip computer to.

The lack of connection to any ECU suggests dirty or corrosion on the OBD port.

For the EAS, with all doors closed, the ignition in position 2 or with engine running, go to EAS, Outputs, Air Pump On which should cause the pump to run (put your hand on it to feel for vibration). Go to EAS, Inputs and on the second page it shows pump on or off. If you suspect the thermal switch, scroll across to the next page (or maybe the one after) and it will show Thermal Switch Hot or Normal. If it shows Hot, your thermal cutout has blown or the pump really is hot. If blown, as a temporary measure you can link the orange and black wires on the pump to fool it into thinking it isn't hot.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Richard, I'll work on these. Forecast is 30° C today so I'll do it at cooler hours.

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Wish it was here, -3 degrees C at the moment with a high tomorrow of 2 C.......

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Not really if the EAS is working properly, the road surface is good and it doesn't have miles of slop in the bushes or steering. I've had 110 mph out of mine (downhill admittedly) and it felt no different to 80 mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts