RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, have a gremlin I can't figure out.

I purchased a 1995 lwb about 7 months ago and have slowly been restoring her.

I had the difs rebuilt, swapped the suspension, full tune-up with new wire and plugs.

But like all rovers she's still a jerk.

Driving home from work in the rain the other day she died while at a stop sign. She cranks but won't turn over.

Since it was just tuned up professionally I'm not expecting anything with the plugs or spark. I replaced the fuel pump bc at 142k miles it was time. I bumped the inertia switch and listened to the fuel pump push. Still nothing.

Is there any other interlock that would be keeping her sidelined? Spidey senses is saying it had to be something to do with the rain. I just can't for the life of me figure out what as all the fuses are good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
48 Posts
90% sure this is the rotor in the distributor. Has happened to me twice, both times in the rain.

Pop the old one out, put a new one in. 5 minute job. Atlantic British carries a few (for about $20-$30). I keep a few spares in the back now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90% sure this is the rotor in the distributor. Has happened to me twice, both times in the rain.

Pop the old one out, put a new one in. 5 minute job. Atlantic British carries a few (for about $20-$30). I keep a few spares in the back now.
That's a good one! I just had it replaced in DEC as part of the tune up. How quickly did yours fail?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would agree with BostonRover7.... and lean towards the ign. amp. An easy way to check is to pull your coil wire from your cap, lay it in a position to where the lead is roughly 1/2" from ground and visible from the driver's seat. Crank it over watching for that lead to spark to ground. It should be a harsh and audible snap. If it's a weak spark, or no spark, your ign. amplifier is the culprit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a good one! I just had it replaced in DEC as part of the tune up. How quickly did yours fail?
Hmm.. I want to say it was a short time frame, but maybe not as short as yours. I believe August 2018 to April 2019 was latest interval.

But I've also had varying luck with the quality of Lucas parts (cue years and years of Lucas / Land Rover jokes) so would not be surprised if there was no regular interval to follow with these old stock parts. Curious to see what this new red rotor arm AB is selling is like, or if it is any different.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
fyi crank and turn over is the same term, you may have been thinking of will crank but wont catch. cap and rotor fall in the category of electronics, electronics are not keen to moisture it may be possible your cap gained condensation and shorted to ground or as others have stated a defective rotor.
follow the test procedure in rave.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently had the pickup coil go bad in my 95 causing it to destroy two rotors in a short period of time. After the second one the mechanic took deeper look to find the real problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Same thing happened to me earlier this year. When replacing the distributor cap someone somehow jammed the center button so that it no longer made contact. Pure user error or a defective part; the rain wasn't relevant to my situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts