RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions on this. I'm trying to diagnose and repair my rear defroster. When I press the switch it lights up and I can hear the clicking within the switch, I can also hear the relay clicking under the glove box but the switch will not stay on (only stays on as long as I keep the switch pressed in). The front windshield defroster works just fine. I've swapped out the rear defroster switch and relay to make sure there are no issues with them and I still get the same outcome, the switch lights up, clicks but only stays lit as long as I keep the button pushed in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Look at the hatch where the connections attach to the glass
They can break loose...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Are the switch face legends the same for both?

Front should be heat inside wiper sweep shape, and is non latching. Push once and it initiates the front circuit with a timer controlling the process from then onward.

Rear should be heat inside square window shape, and should mechanically latch with one push, then a second push unlatches to switch off. You can leave it on as long as you like.

If the same "front " switch is used it will do as you find on the rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The switch faces are different with the wiper sweep shape for the front and the square for the rear. I thought there might be some other relay/timer in the circuit but I can't find any reference to one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The rear should stay physically latched in when operated, does it do that? Or just return as the front one does? In essence, no electronic switching but just the switch structure to hold the contacts over.

Most of the rear screens of that era brit build where just straight circuit with nothing but switch control, don't think there's usually anything else there in that circuit.

They normally had a "toggle " in their structure that was push to latch, then push again to unlatch so it should function in that way.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
210 Posts
PM me if you need a switch – I will send it to you for free if you are in the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rear should stay physically latched in when operated, does it do that? Or just return as the front one does? In essence, no electronic switching but just the switch structure to hold the contacts over.

Most of the rear screens of that era brit build where just straight circuit with nothing but switch control, don't think there's usually anything else there in that circuit.

They normally had a "toggle " in their structure that was push to latch, then push again to unlatch so it should function in that way.
The switch doesn't stay latched from what I can see, when I press it in it lights up there's a noise within the switch and there's also a noise in the relay under the passenger side glove box. I tried a spare switch I have with the same result. It could be I have two faulty switches. I've attached what I believe is wiring diagram I found this morning.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts