RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I was talking to a fairly knowledgeable guy about my new purchase, a 1998 P38. This guy owns a Defender and a later model Range Rover and knows his way, mechanically, around all RRmodels. He went on to rip the P38, especially the 1998 year. He was asking me if anything worked on it...seats, air springs, radio etc. He told me that it has 65 computers that are constantly in a fail state and that I should not have purchased that particular model. He finished by saying that the 1998 p38 was the worst Range Rover Model and year to buy.

I must admit, I was taken aback. I really didn't argue with him but was a bit pissed. The guy didn't even see my P38, which only has 44,000 miles and is in very good condition, and he was banging away on it. I am well aware of all of the P38 shortcomings and weaknesses. I told him I did my homework and really love the look and driving feel of the P38. Moreover, with diligent preventative maintenance there is no reason the P38 should not approach reliablility. Will things go wrong? yes, but it's not the pig this individual made it out to be. Plus it is really not an impossible engine and overall system to wrench on. Plus the P38 has soul. Anyway, I'm not looking for people to validate my purchase because I could not be happier,with my P38, just looking to vent.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Obviously someone that has bought into the poor hype, loves to exaggerate and has never own one. THere is nothing different about the 98 that would single it out. Hell it isn;t even the first year for anything. If such a broad label were to be slapped on any P38 it would be the 1995. First year bugs and enough differences leaving it sometimes difficult to get parts. 65 Computers... moron.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
He owns a Defender so what does he know about taste and build quality? The early cars did have more than their fair share of teething problems but there were quite a number of changes made for the 98 model, both to the engine and the electrics so they are much better than an earlier version. Obviously there were further changes in 2000 when the Thor was introduced. I wouldn't buy anything earlier than a 98 (even though I bought the SE which is a 97 and is proving that I should never buy anything earlier than a 98 ).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was also spouting on about the P38 issues with slipped liners and blown head gaskets.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Slipped liners are sop few and far between it is laughable. Head gaskets... yea those can be an issue. THen again it is a simple and relatively easy repair. Did you remind him that his Defender has the same engine with the same head gasket and slipped liner issues? :)

I actually enjoy people like him. Their stupidity makes P38 ownership much less expensive for folks that know what they are doing.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Oh my, and funnier still considering what a Defender has for a motor....wouldn't be an aluminum V8 with liners by chance would it? What a wanker.
Funny how all of my "65" computers are happily working perfectly together, even with a transplanted 6.0 liter LSx and 4L60E transmission huh?
Feel free to send him this way, o he can have his azz handed to him in short order. Mind, semi typical of the Defender owners over here who pay $50k for a Chelsea Tractor that is only good as a farm tool in my experience.

Martin

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Obviously someone that has bought into the poor hype, loves to exaggerate and has never own one. THere is nothing different about the 98 that would single it out. Hell it isn;t even the first year for anything. If such a broad label were to be slapped on any P38 it would be the 1995. First year bugs and enough differences leaving it sometimes difficult to get parts. 65 Computers... moron.
THIS. The only article I have read that condemns certain years of the P38
is the Robinson report - and that pointed at the 96/97 years as being some of the poorest, not 98! I'll look for it now.

The guy is a d-bag.

I had the exact same thing happen to me right after I bought mine. The shop that claimed to specialize in older LRs trashed me for buying one and then proceeded to demonstrate its lack of knowledge by doing a bunch of work that I didnt approve to fix a noise that I complained about. They did everything from brake caliper work to tire balancing. Then tried to sell me a new differential as a fix! Someone on here said the noise was caused by XYZ, that it isnt a problem and posted LR's TSB on the exact issue. The real cause of the noise would not have been fixed even if I bought a new differential. Bottom line: trash talkers generally mask their lack of knowledge with hatred.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Beware of Robinson too, he sells doom and gloom....Just happens to sell top hat liners by coincidence....

Martin

·
Registered
53 Posts
Slipped liners are sop few and far between it is laughable. Head gaskets... yea those can be an issue. THen again it is a simple and relatively easy repair. Did you remind him that his Defender has the same engine with the same head gasket and slipped liner issues? :)

I actually enjoy people like him. Their stupidity makes P38 ownership much less expensive for folks that know what they are doing.
It can also be a down side. I've seen some beautiful P38's ruined and junked because of a minor issue such as coils. :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I've heard that about them on this forum. I was just saying even THEY don't crap on 98s.

And fwiw, early P38s are far simpler and cheaper to repair than early L322s

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I've got a 95 and 96 with a combined well over 350000 miles on them that says otherwise. Defender posers...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Clearly the guys and idiot, I have had a few of these cars and I must say the only time my Milk Wagon has ever let me down, was when I had an A-HOLE who owns a Land Rover shop do work on it for me, while I was sick!! I have since gone through the entire car, bumper to bumper and if you know me, you know what that means! IT IS PERFECT in and out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Today, I was talking to a fairly knowledgeable guy about my new purchase, a 1998 P38.
I doubt his knowledge........what an idiot!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There's good and bad in all cars. Unfortunately some people, and magazines, sign up to hype regarding the P38 being a bad un.
I've had mine for some nine years and have had some problems but no more than I'd expect in a car thirteen years old.
Before this I had a 2004 Shogun 3.2Did. That car was in and out of the Mitsubishi dealers once a month for something. It was a dog of a car. But no-one knocks them.
This guy has just signed up as a P38 knocker with no experience to back it up.
Just go out and enjoy the car, buy yourself some sort of decent diagnostic tool, because you can diagnose the majority of problems yourself then.
Preventative maintenance and oem parts not cheap pattern parts are the order of the day.
Just enjoy it especially when you see how cramped up he is in his defender, and you'll understand why most defender drivers have to drive every where with the drivers window open.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great stuff, it's 5:45 am and I'm going out to my peice if junk, waste of money, worst model ever,65 computer fail, nothing working P38, to drive the Hell out of... Life is good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How I agree with this from RRToadHall. The more I see magazines and numbskulls trotting out the same received crap opinions, the better I feel - and the cheaper it gets to run my beast. I bought her 3 months ago for just on £1000, with full service history, 150K, and a few minor niggles and scuffs. She has so far performed brilliantly, puts a smile on my face just to see her, and taken me and the misses up and down the country in total luxury for nearly 40mpg. Every day we want to get in her and drive somewhere. And no matter how far we drive she always gives the impression that the journey was nothing to her, that she could go on twice as far and it would be easy. For instance, a fortnight after buying her we drove her 350 miles to help friends move house; she spent a couple of days packed to the roof carrying boxes and furniture, then she brought us home up the motorway another 350 miles effortlessly. I reckon she is easily the best and most versatile vehicle I have ever owned.

I honestly can't believe my luck.

Tell that to the doubters - on second thoughts better leave them to their stupidity!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts