RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first Range Rover Classic a couple of weeks ago. It's a 1994 model year, short wheelbase, 3.9l EFI. I'm sure it is a well worn example at 213k miles, but so far I've been enjoying it very much. I've attached a picture of it :)

image.jpg

I went off-roading yesterday for the first time. The 100 mile drive there went fine without any problems. The engine idling nicely in park, neutral, drive, reverse. High/low range both no problem. After switching into low range and doing a few climbs (~20 min), I stopped at a level spot and wanted to enjoy the view a little but the engine stalled once I stopped moving. I put it in neutral and got it to start again. From then on I always had to keep moving or switch to neutral when coming to a complete stop and then dropping it into drive at around 1000 rpm to avoid stalling. When doing this drop into gear with some throttle applied, the gear change happened with a clunk, which might be expected I guess? I experienced the same problem for both high and low range.

After driving a while on the freeway, the problem disappeared and I could come to a complete stop while keeping it in drive, not even the slightest hint of any problems, the idling rpm stayed perfectly constant.

What do you think was/is the problem? Transmission overheating? Torque converter not releasing? But if it is the TC, why would it happen only after some low range slow speed climbing and disappear after some normal driving?

I checked the transmission oil level before the trip and it seemed too high to me. I checked while idling the cold car and it was at the point on the dipstick where the stick twists, so about the low to high distance over high. But the marks on the dipstick don't really seem manufactured but rather hammered in. The oil was a nice clear red. I haven't checked it since I'm back from the trip.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

-Nils

·
Registered
253 Posts
here's a question for you.. if you blip the throttle quickly does the idel speed drop down too low, but if you are gentle on increasing the revs and decreasing then it idles ok ?

In using it off road, your probably being a bit more agressive with the throttle and its dropping too low, but in freeway driving you're being gentle with the deceleration so the idle doesnt drop that quickly.

most likely the stepper motor

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
There seems to be some sort of learning function in the ECU regarding the AIV setting when you back off the throttle and the car is moving. Mine sometimes does this when there has been a change in the weather (maybe because it is used to idling at higher revs for cold weather or whatever). It settles down after a 10-15 minute drive. So I don't think it is a problem but rather things working as they should.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's interesting Johnno, The Porsche 928, which is of a similar vintage has a learning process, if the battery is disconnected for more than 30 minutes it needs about 10-15 minutes of learning to calculate and reset its curves.

If there is a learning function, then it stands to reason there would be a battery to maintain the learning.. as such if this battery becomes discharged then the learning would be lost and gained again after some residual charge has been put back in. It there a battery on the ECU?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts