RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I've got a 4.2 that I did an LT230 swap in about 6 months ago and it has sprung a serious leak. I was letting my friend drive it (first mistake) and he claims that the temp light came one and he pulled into a gas station immediately. I really don't think the head gaskets blew because it still runs fine, there is no water in the oil, and there is no oil in the water. Howeer, when you attempt to refill the radiator coolant trickles down from somewhere behind the distributor on the front of the block. Am I correct in assuming that I need to replace the intake valley gasket? I've never heard of one of those "blowing"... Anyway, any thoughts are welcomed.

The other issue that keeps it from being a daily driver I THINK... is the hazard light switch. When I put the key in and turn, the ignition won't come on until I wiggle the hazard switch. Then once it is on, I cannot get it to shut off with the key. This leads to the pleasant experience of yanking the main distributor cap wire with a bare hand... Is the ignition tied into the hazard switch for some stupid british reason? I found a replacement for 93USD but I think I would rather spend that on building a panel of toggle switches that aren't going to break anytime within the next millenium. Thoughts?

Thank you in advace for your time.

Cheers,

-Chris

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
Sounds like a heater hose to me. The rest sounds like a short - the hazard switch is hot with the ignition off so that might be the source - can you pull the LT feed to the coil rather than the HT to shut down?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts