RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 that had a blown front driveshaft and took out the transfercase and the transmission.

I had a 80K mile transmission and LT230 out of an 1987 in my parts collection. So we've swapped it all out, got everything hooked up as best as possible. There are three plugs left over from the BW case.

My problem is the starter won't engage now with the ignition switch. I can get it to start by jumping the battery to the solenoid wire. Fires right up. I've checked the fuses and relays and they are all good. Is there some wiring from the old BW case that needs to be connected somewhere to make it start?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your plugs will likely be for handbrake warning, reverse lights, and a overtemp warning for the BW (could be used as the diff lock light for the 230).

Is the white/red wire for the starter giving 12V when the key is turned? All the earth straps clean and tight?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have continuity at the starter 12V wire, but when I turn the ignition, nothing happens. I have tried switching relays, and it didn't help any.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the transmission itself was in 1st gear not park. The shift lever was in park. But since I had not hooked the cable up yet, the transmission lever was wrong. I moved it to park, now it works just fine.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Joining in here since I've had a VC nightmare for the past year. VC was seized when I bought the 94 RR Classic LWB 3 years ago; it eventually threw a rod through the rear diff a year ago. Replaced that as part of rear axle.

What's involved in putting in a used LT230 into a LWB Classic? Any modifications or alterations, or is it really plug and play?

How does the LT230 lock/unlock manually? On my FJ62 LandCruisers, I have to turn the hubs manually.

I thought I was limited otherwise to a BW TC from a Classic. Do TC's on P38's work on a 94 Classic LWB?? Besides the brackets, any other modifications or adaptations needed?

Please help!

Bob in Albany

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bob you have a million questions. a transfer case is basically a differential, that being said the BW is a limited slip diff with low range capability, the LT 230 is a manual locking differential with low range capability.

the internals of the p38 tc will work into the classic tc but the housing location is different, on the p38 it sits left classic sits right.
your fj has manual locking hubs, totally unrelated to the t case, all Range Rovers from 1970 to present have had permanent all wheel drive thus no hubs to lock.

the transfer case swap is basically straight forward bolt on as many parts swap, now the dirt.
from the lt 230 donor vehicle preferably a discovery 1 you will need in addition to the t case.... front drive shaft, t case shift linkage, parking brake assembly with cable, t case mount braket and the transmission out put drive shaft. the last part is the large spline shaft which drives the transfer case.

BTW, differentials do not have rods thus you may have been mis-informed as the nature of the failure. ring and pinon gears mated to spider gears mounted on bearings, it is the shaft where the spider gears spin which breaks and often causes catastrophic failure.

cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi. Just installed an LT230 into my 94 RRC, swapping out the BW VC. Was told that it'd solve the continuing BW VC hassle. Getting VC replacements has been a year long trial.

My mechanic (who doesn't know much about Rovers; no one really works on them around here) says that the shifter moves right to left (for locking) but not forward and back (hi to lo). Any thoughts on that? I don't off-road (I use the Rover mainly to go to Starbucks, the opera, and the ballet) so I'm happy to leave it in Hi, I guess. Is high forward or back?
We were told to remove the solenoid. Is that necessary (if so, why?) and does that impede shifter?

We already cut out the shifter opening, so it moves back and forth.

You mentioned that the extra BW plugs might be for rear lights, etc. How do they get connected with the LT230 in?

And how do we run a wire to a new red warning light when it's manually locked?

What other steps and items are we overlooking? Vendor told us it was plug-and-play, but there obviously are some issues we didn;t know about (like cuttig the shifter opening; getting a new shaft; etc.)

I haven't been able to find a complete list of steps and items to do the BW to LT230 conversion. Vendor must have assumed we knew what to do.

Many thanks

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts