RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding the Ignition Load Relay on a 1993. I've got the wiring diagrams for a 1991 and 1992 that show it under the dash, near the steering column. There are a lot of differences between those diagrams and my truck. Does anyone have a 1993 diagram or know where to find it? What about the ignition load relay location?
I'm trying to find why I have a voltage drop to my ignition.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Wiring on a 93 is identical to a 92 so the diagram you have is fine. 93 will also have the self destructing fusible links wrapped in a cloth tube in the main battery feed lurking between the battery and the coolant header tank. That is the first place to start when looking for voltage drops in any circuit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
I replaced the fusible links with a later fuse box several years and many miles ago.
The 1992 diagram wire colors don't match anything that I'm finding over in the passenger footwell. Or near the steering column.
Does anyone know if they started changing wire colors in late 93 or 94? I see enough differences on the diagram from 91 to 92, so I guess there were more going into 93.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Something to remember is that anytime something was added, deleted or had a minor change in Classic design the wiring changed. 92, 93, 94 and 95 ALL have different diagrams. In fact you will find bits and pieces often changed mid year. I think they did that just to confuse us. I;ve only ever worked on one Classic where a diagram was reasonably accurate and was an end of run 95. The best you can do to find your relay is compare locations with other year's diagrams.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Here's a capture from the manual. So if 92 have it at the steering column and 94 has it at the right foot well I would doubt that there is a third location for 93... but not unheard of. ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,
Do you know the wire colors? I think I understand the 1995 diagram to show a Brown Light Green (NLG) and a Brown Orange (NO).

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Unlikely it will be anything like a 95 as that is the soft dash so more of a Discovery/P38 hybrid than a Classic. Brown/Orange is normally used for ignition switch live though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess my next step is to look closely at any relays that might be in the right area and start unplugging them. Without a diagram or colors to look for, I'm kind of shooting in the dark.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Well if the 92 has alot of differences from your rig have you looked at the footwell area I posted? Do you have relays like in the photo? That will at least tell us if 93 was a stand alone year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the footwell area has relays, similar to the picture of the 95'. But the wire colors on any of them didn't match up to the wire colors on the 92 or 95 diagrams.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I was going to suggest that the ignition load relay should be easy enough to find as it will be the one that clicks in when you turn the ignition on. Then I read your first post again. You have a voltage drop TO the ignition switch? That would mean it would be in the main feed before it gets to the load relay.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
THat is at least headway. It's unlikely that 93 would be a one off year. Colours aside you can disconnect the middle component in the photo and see if your condition changes. I;ve gone through enough Classic electrical issues to know that there's no such thing as an exactly accurate wiring diagram for any year, let alone on NAS models. Give it a shot, you really have nothing to loose outside of a few minutes of time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My problem is more along the lines of low voltage at the coil/ignition amp. I have about 2volts missing between the battery voltage and the voltage on the + side of the coil. In the past month I've burned up a few ignition amps. The ignition load relay is what I suspect.
I'll be able to work on it again tomorrow night and I can just go through and disconnect some relays to see which one it is. Thanks for all your help

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Just looked at the diagram for a '92, assuming it's going to be pretty similar and it shows a couple of odd things that may be relevant. Between the battery and the ignition switch it shows a fusible cable so this may be an extra one to the fusible links that you've already replaced. The output from the ignition switch goes via Fuse C3 to the distributor (and ignition amp). Check the voltage at the ignition switch (input and output) and again at fuse C3 with the ignition switched on. You should have full battery voltage everywhere.

Colours may be different but are shown on the '92 diagram as Orange/Brown from the fusible cable to the ignition switch with White being the output from the switch to Fuse C3 and then White/Blue onto the distributor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not home tonight. But last night I had good voltage at the fuse. And was down about 2 volts at the coil. I'll check it out tomorrow night. Thanks

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
That's where your problem is then, nothing to do with the load relay. If volts at the fuse are OK but not at the coil, all there is between the two is a piece of wire. Dirty fuseholder or damaged wire or damaged connector at one end or the other. I'd suggest the fuseholder as being the most likely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so the ignition power on the pos side of the coil is from the switch to the fuse to the coil? Switch and fuse seem to be good, I'll check the wire and connections next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts