RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
When I bought my 1993, all windows worked perfectly. The previous owner mentioned the front passenger window was intermittent, but it worked fine for the first 2 months. No issues with rear windows, they worked just fine.

The other day, the passenger window and the two rear windows stopped operating. Driver's window still works perfectly.

Any ideas? Fuse, relay?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
51 Posts
First thing to do is clean up the switches with some spray contact cleaner: that's the weak spot and it's cheap to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Contacts appear to be fine. The three non-operable windows stopped working at the same time. Leading me to believe it was a fuse or something associated with the ECU.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure to test the middle switch, top row... child window lock. It locks out those three windows if memory serves. I'd say it's there (bad switch?) or the window ecu underneath the center storage compartment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If they all worked fine then stopped the switches should be good. In the arm rest pocket, removed the black liner, the control unit for the windows is in there. Have someone operate the windows for you and push on the connector. remove it and give the connections a light sand. If they kick in, the unit needs either replace or cleaned. - This is one option. A potential other on is the after start the ignition key is slightly stuck forward and not full sprung back which isn't activation the controls - but you say the driver side is working - so this would be least likely the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My rear windows were slow to go up, and then stopped working. I took the ECU out from the central cubbie and there were a few cold solder joints for the furthest relay from the connector pins (evidently that’s the one that controls the back windows). The windows work again, but are still a bit slow going back up. Read that may be that the regulators need to be cleaned up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i currently have a similar problem on my 1989 classic. except i have the rear passanger side working and the others including the drivers not. the car has been stood ofr 5 years except for when its been moved from storage space etc so i think mine is just a jammed up motor or bad earth, will post what the culprit is when i find it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they all worked fine then stopped the switches should be good. In the arm rest pocket, removed the black liner, the control unit for the windows is in there. Have someone operate the windows for you and push on the connector. remove it and give the connections a light sand. If they kick in, the unit needs either replace or cleaned. - This is one option. A potential other on is the after start the ignition key is slightly stuck forward and not full sprung back which isn't activation the controls - but you say the driver side is working - so this would be least likely the problem.

To follow up. I basically followed the advice above. I got a bottle of WD40 contact cleaner and cleaned the connections. plugged everything back in, and...all windows worked perfectly.

I had previously checked all connections, but but the contact cleaner seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
190 Posts
That's the thing with low voltage DC systems, its doesn't take much to mess up continuity! I've lost count of the problems I've found that wound up being just bad grounds or dirty contacts. At least it's an easy fix!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts