RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've got a problem with my 93 4.2 RRC LSE, when you start it from cold, the cars starts first time with no problems and will idle happily.

When you select a gear and accelerate there's a hesitation and the car nearly stalls, but with some gas it will overcome it and after a 1 minute its fine, its almost like in a car with a manual choke pushing the choke in too soon after you've started it.

Any ideas, cold start injector, thermo time switch?

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will be standing by for your answer. I too have this same issue.

I just replaced the distributer cap and rotor with genuine Lucas parts that fixed the constant misfire and lack of idle I had. This cold start misfire is all that is left of my running issues. \

My thoughts would be a leaky injector possibly? Slight head gasket leak?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Do you have a copy of the RAVE techinal manual? It covers your model.

Pretty sure cold start injectors and thermo time switch would have been things of the past by then. A number of other sensors could be the issue. Have to go to work now, will try to look tonight if no one else solves it before then.

·
Registered
318 Posts
coolant temp sensor, base idle resetting, only fit genuine dissy cap rotor arm and leads, seized dissy vac unit failed, injectors do fail but would be worse later when warm as well would also give strong smell of overfueling when first starting remove the plugs and see if looking like new could be head gasket

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

For some reason the 93 falls between the cracks as far as LR Documentation is concerned, not really covered in the LR Workshop Manual and not on RAVE CD 3.

I'm reading Head Gasket and getting a nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach. The thing is if you leave the car to pull away in Drive on tick over under its own steam with no accelerator input, it seems fine, its only for the first minute after the engines started.

I'll take the plugs out over the weekend and have a look and check the cap, I'm not experiencing any coolant loss (yet) doh spoke to soon :eek: or any bubbles in the expansion tank (I fitted a clear one) The cap and leads were replaced before I bought it or so the last owner told me. :D

Any other quick checks for possible head gasket failure? Or Ideas of quick checks.

Cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
when removing the plugs if they are clean then it is burning coolant if they are sooty then it is overfueling and that is the problem

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I agree, pull the plugs just after the problem happens and post pics of report on the condition.

·
Registered
300 Posts
journeyman said:
Hi All,

I've got a problem with my 93 4.2 RRC LSE, when you start it from cold, the cars starts first time with no problems and will idle happily.

When you select a gear and accelerate there's a hesitation and the car nearly stalls, but with some gas it will overcome it and after a 1 minute its fine, its almost like in a car with a manual choke pushing the choke in too soon after you've started it.

Any ideas, cold start injector, thermo time switch?

Cheers
If I recall correctly there's a valve that compensates for when any accessories are switched on (air conditioning etc.) it raises the revs to make up for the extra load; I'm not 100% sure where it's located though :think:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine does this when I start on petrol (LPG is perfect) the revs rise and fall on idle. It also has no power under load or after about 40mph again only on petrol. pops a bit from the exhaust as well.

:pray:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What Adam is refering to is the idle control valve, however this only operates when the throttle is closed to allow extra air in for extra load. Don't think it's your problem. TehPriest this could be your idle problem, but is unlikely to be the problem once your moving. When was your fuel filter last changed? Ditto ignition components? I would also get the ign timing checked when it's running on petrol.

Journeyman, you can check your hoses aren't overpressurising, another sign of headgasket/combustion leak.

Re reading your first post, i would also check out the cost of a replacement ECU coolant temp sensor (not the gauge sensor), as that is what provides the ECU with the coolant temp to enrichen the mixture when cold (what a choke would do).

·
Registered
300 Posts
rufant said:
What Adam is refering to is the idle control valve, however this only operates when the throttle is closed to allow extra air in for extra load. Don't think it's your problem. TehPriest this could be your idle problem, but is unlikely to be the problem once your moving. When was your fuel filter last changed? Ditto ignition components? I would also get the ign timing checked when it's running on petrol.
My mind isn't what it used to be now I've got the Merc :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
318 Posts
TehPriest said:
Mine does this when I start on petrol (LPG is perfect) the revs rise and fall on idle. It also has no power under load or after about 40mph again only on petrol. pops a bit from the exhaust as well.

mono point of multi point gas?

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is a single point but seems to have two controllers ??

Fitted the 10mm race HT leads now as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
the timing is altered for the gas which makes for a crap running motor really you need to fit a multi point system the lack of power will be the restrictive gas mixer set the igintion timing correctly remove the mixer and drive it on petrol adn feel the difference

·
Registered
199 Posts
stuart460 said:
the timing is altered for the gas which makes for a crap running motor really you need to fit a multi point system the lack of power will be the restrictive gas mixer set the igintion timing correctly remove the mixer and drive it on petrol adn feel the difference
My other LPG truck ran quite happily on both (single point) So I don't really understand why the RRC can't. Must be a happy medium surely? I would'nt want to get low on gas on a M-way and have to drop to 35mph.

·
Registered
318 Posts
well uness you start with the basics have the engine set up correctly have the gas serviced and set up the dissy checked then you will not have a basis from which to work from playing and disconnecting things as you go will cause more problems have the ecu read do you run 99% of the time on gas?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes. I have a 5 gal reserve petrol tank used mainly for cold starting. On gas it goes like a rocket and runs smooth. The problem only occurs on petrol. I did think it was the MAM as it seems to be a simular type of problem produced by them and apparently the LPG doesn't use the MAM readings.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My 94 LSE runs fine on petrol and gas (single point). Not sure it goes like a rocket on either though...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have discovered that you need to put the pedal completely to the floor and hold it there for best chav busting results LOL. O' and whatever you do do NOT watch the fuel levels :lol: :idea:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts