RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone else out there that has one or knows of someone that has one :?:
I've done some research and obviously found that there were only 200 made and shipped to the US.
Questions I have:
1. the starter? Is this Starter differerent that other starters of a similar year? From what I gather, everything says it is different but will another starter work fine?
2. EAS? The guy that had the Rover before me removed the EAS computer for some reason and it was misplaced :crybaby2: . will an EAS computer from another year work fine? The Block, air pump and tank are all there. Tested the pump and it works fine.
I would like to keep this Rover as stock as possible but:think: should i dump the EAS and go with springs?
3. front, right cylinder has low compression, water leaks into oil and obviously will eventually over heat. Question: Do you believe this is a head or a gasket issue?
Thank you for your help.
Ted

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
G'day Ted,

welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with the 93 Range Rover Sport as it was never released over here.

I would be very suprised if the starter motor was any different to those of a similar year and engine size. The part number can normally be found on the starter motor if you want to be sure.

From memory any Classic EAS ECU will work but not a P38 (the model that replaced the Classic). To be sure and for definitive answers to your EAS questions and parts to service and repair the system, contact Dennis from Rover Renovations. He might be able to supply you an ECU.

Choosing to replace the EAS is a personal decision and if you search this forum you will find plenty of debate. I think you will find there is alot more understanding and aftermarket support for the EAS system now, and it's difficult reputation is maybe not really so relevant anymore.

The cylinder problem could be the head, head gasket or a liner problem. If you are definitely getting water in the oil then the head needs to come off, which will should then allow an accurate diagnosis to be made, the piston and conrod can be easily removed too.
A replacement engine might be a more cost effective solution that you might want to investigate.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Keep it standard and don't coil it if it was originally EAS. Without further investigation, you can't say head/block or gasket issue. Just look after the thing. There are so few of them left in good clean condition.

If you PM me with a VIN, I can check Microcat for you regarding the starter.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've never heard of a Sport, but that'll just be a trim level anyway (or a Sport sticker that someone's stuck on).

93sport said:
1. the starter? Is this Starter differerent that other starters of a similar year? From what I gather, everything says it is different but will another starter work fine?
Ref the starter some suppliers will quote two different part numbers for 93/94-ish cars depending on the chassis number, one of which is about 5 times the price of the other. This happened with mine, and I was told I needed the expensive one. I just bought the cheaper one - the fitting is the same, but the actual body of the starter is a different size, and worked fine. To be on the safe side I bought it from a company that only sold the cheaper one, so that if I had a problem they wouldn't accuse me of making a wrong choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the wonderful knowledge. I have followed this site for the past year and was a member before but forgot my login name since I have moved and all me rover stuff is in boxes.
We have a couple reliable Rover rpair shops around where I live so I guess when I'm ready to dump several thousand dollars in to it will most likely have them take a looksy at the motor.
The starter issue seams to bother me the most. I do not have the original starter as it was replaced by
Mr. Doityourselfmichanic the day before I bought it. And now just after 3 months of driving it the starter has gone out again.
I understand? that my rover is al bosch, what would happen if a lucas starter gets installed?

This comes directly off the rangerovers.net site:

County Sport:

Priced at $1,900 above the base SWB model the "County Sport" was introduced mid way through the model year. There were approx. 200 of the limited edition model that came with Electric Air Suspension (EAS) and silver "Sparkle Silver Finish" TWR five spoke wheels (the same wheel as all the 1994 and 1995 SWB Range Rovers). The wheels had lug nuts with shiny stainless steel caps. Most were Beluga Black, but some were Aegean Blue. Many (possibly all) had a brush bar on the front and lamp guards over the rear lights. The County Sport was the first SWB Range Rover to have the EAS, and the only SWB model with EAS in 1993 (In 1994 and 1995 all Range Rovers sold in the U.S. had EAS).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Be aware that it is possible the driveplate (the bit the starter gear engages with) is worn and this is what is chewing out the starters. Careful inspection once the starter is out should tell you if this is the case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This seams to be an electrical issue due to the lack or nonexistence of power to the starter when you turn the key. Is it poosible to just be a soloniod and not the started itself? Is there a way to check this? new started $200ish, new solonoid $40ish.
Thanks again for your help.
Ted

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My plan is to start collecting all the parts for a complete restoration of this Range Rover.
Including
Complete engine rebuild
new rear right door
front brush guard
Door Handle for both front doors
new front seats or releather and rebuild, the wana be doit yourselfer decided to rip out the motors and gear assemblies instead od checking the relays.
new shocks front and rear
new paint to original "Baluga Black" once again manabe did a great paint job but left out one of the flakes in the paint.
new tail lights do to cracks in the originals at the mounting holes
rear wiper blade assembly
Fog lights
swing away spare tire carrier
roof rack
EAS ECU
Rock Sliders
New Bushing Set
Stereo

I love the style of the new ones but I just can not justify the sticker price for a new one right now (maybe later in the year).
What I am asking of my fellow Range Rover Lovers opinion is:
A: Do i restore to Original this 93 "Sport "that they only made 200 of, or
B: Do I restore it with more modern equipment such as in the electrical ignition and such for a more reliable ride. EAS is going to stay as original.

Once again this is not my daily driver.
I, not my wife, plan to keep this RR for a while.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Do also make sure you use either Genuine LR Parts or the Original Equipment Mfr part. I think this is a great project.

Why not try to keep it as original as possible? However, if something keeps letting you down, or you need more reliability, then perhaps think about finding a suitable aftermarket modification. There are a lot of superceded LR parts, so LR have actually improved on any poor performing parts which may have been fitted on this car.

BTW, WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS??? :naughty:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
This seams to be an electrical issue due to the lack or nonexistence of power to the starter when you turn the key.
So, sometimes you turn the key and you get nothing? It doesn't even try to turn the engine over?

Give a full detailed explanation of the problem.

Cheers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, sometimes you turn the key and you get nothing? It doesn't even try to turn the engine over?

Give a full detailed explanation of the problem.
Very simple.... turn the key and not even a click. The End!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ask and you shall recieve.. Here's some pictures.[attachment=4:3fqhy1xi]PicturePic for Trey 190.jpg[/attachment:3fqhy1xi][attachment=3:3fqhy1xi]PicturePic for Trey 191.jpg[/attachment:3fqhy1xi][attachment=2:3fqhy1xi]PicturePic for Trey 192.jpg[/attachment:3fqhy1xi][attachment=1:3fqhy1xi]PicturePic for Trey 193.jpg[/attachment:3fqhy1xi][attachment=0:3fqhy1xi]PicturePic for Trey 194.jpg[/attachment:3fqhy1xi]

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
93sport said:
Very simple.... turn the key and not even a click. The End!
That sounds more like a problem with power to the starter. Have you checked the starter relay and tested for power in the cable that triggers the solenoid when the key is turned?

G

·
0 Posts
1. the starter? Is this Starter differerent that other starters of a similar year? From what I gather, everything says it is different but will another starter work fine? Any starter for a rover 3.9-4.2 v8 will work.

2. EAS? The guy that had the Rover before me removed the EAS computer for some reason and it was misplaced :crybaby2: . will an EAS computer from another year work fine? The Block, air pump and tank are all there. Tested the pump and it works fine. Any 93-95 EAS brain will work.

I would like to keep this Rover as stock as possible but:think: should i dump the EAS and go with springs? Keep the EAS, it's too cool.

3. front, right cylinder has low compression, water leaks into oil and obviously will eventually over heat. Question: Do you believe this is a head or a gasket issue? Your engine is toast. You should consider buying a 4.6 short block and swapping your 3.9 stuff onto it. You'll be so far ahead of the game this way. Do not spend one dime on a 3.9 rebuild.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Danny and Rufant, I do get power to all the lights and dash components. I have bypassed a wire directly from the battery to the starter to see if will kick over but I get nothing. My conclusion is to rebuild the starter or get new one.

o2batsea ,
If I do the 4.6 small block, is this going to use a different started? if so I will part out what I can't use for the conversion and put all new on the short block using OEM Parts to keep the stock appearence. at least. I would rather have the power of the 4.6 as I will most likely be using this vehicle for towing the boat most of the time. I am michanically capable of building an engine from the ground up but do not have the facilities to do the engine swap itself. I will leave that to the profesionals at one of the local Rover certified repair shops.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts