Range Rovers Forum banner

1993 Range Rover classic

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RRLondon 
#1 ·
I am about to buy it. No rust. But 240000 miles. I just want it. I know I am crazy. It’s on the road But has a check engine light on. A couple of windows do retract. I need advice I am a newbie. Note I am a master carpenter and artist and grew up working up on old cars so I am not taunted by elbow grease. Any advice appreciated. Thx in advance.

#2 ·
No rust is a huge plus as it's alot of work to fix a bad one. BUT you need to check this with your own eyes, it's primarily the body structure you need to assure yourself of. Look at every body to chassis mount point carefully, then the floor sections where the front passenger's feet are located, plus the longitudinal structures under the doors, plus the underside of rear wheel arches. Well you get the picture, but scrutinise it intricately.

Mileage shouldn't be problematic IF it's been maintained. If you've worked on older cars then maintaining it is simple but there's a lot of it to work through. Very basic components with virtually no special tools.

You'll need a code number from the diagnostic to go with engin check light to get more discussion specifically. Should be visible on diag display under one of the seats.

#3 ·
Bought a '93 about two months ago, 144K. Great truck. Do check for rust everywhere, but don't be put off by it. Rusty parts can be rebuilt or replaced, obviously with a cost of time and money. The display with the codes is under the passenger seat facing outward. Rectangular black box with red digital numbers. Feel free to HMU if you have questions. Good luck!

#4 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of buying a Range Rover classic, probably one of the later ones as they seem to be in the best condition. I'm wondering what to look for as I look at them. I have some experience with some of the components, as my parents' '96 Discovery has some similar parts and I've worked on that extensively, but I don't have any experience with the Range Rover Classic.

snaptube vidmate word to pdf

#6 ·
As well as the corrosion mentioned above, try to make sure you drive it in all of it's ratios and ask questions if that brings up any concerns.

They should, if working correctly, start, idle and not stall out if left unpromted with ease. That's both from cold and when hot, if not you'll ordinarily end up chasing the cause as the new custodian.

#5 ·
I purchased my first project car (1990 RRC) Its been a costly blast! This forum is very helpful & insightful. You'll experience everything from door handle issues, to ignition problems...The folks on here will help to the best of their knowledge, just dont ask common sense questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.