RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got through reading this thread...
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/8-range-rover-classic/275489-95-stumbles-after-35-minutes.html

I have replaced, plugs, wires, and cap. I got a crappy rotor (riveted) so I put the old rotor back in. Before this I couldn't get the engine turn over.
The motor idles just fine. When I am driving, even the slightest press of the accelerator and I get stumbling.

I saw in the other thread Throttle Position Sensor. I believe my fuel pump to be fine it is less than two years old. If the fuel pump was failing I don't believe I could idle as I do.
I will swap the TPS with another. I don't have a new one to try. We'll see if I get different results.
I can say this is sure frustrating.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
hook up an oscilloscope, you may have an underlying electrical concern, bad coil, bad pick up, even clogged fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad pick-up? Are you referring to the star wheel and magnetic bits inside the distributor?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I swapped out the TPS. I have the same result with both.
I can rev the engine sitting still in the driveway and it doesn't stumble. When I accelerate going down the road it stumbles.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You may have a vacuum leak where trumpets attach to intake manifold
The gasket was gone on mine
I sealed it and much better performance

Just throwing this out there
Mike

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bad pick-up? Are you referring to the star wheel and magnetic bits inside the distributor?
yes, that is what I'm talking about, the procedure is outlined in the rave. you will need to set the gap using a copper feeler gauge.
use the rover gauge program or a land rover scanner such as autologic to look at engine parameters, voltage, 02 sensors, fuel trims. again using an oscilloscope look at ignition wire contribution while running, spark pattern and strength, coil out put while under load as well as pick up coil.
this will help pinpoint and resolve your concern.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plugs went on this week with the cap and rotor. Yes both sides were nearly identical. Only #2 looked like it was doing something different. It was black when the rest were the gray color.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
those two cylinders my have stuck open injectors due to normal carbon build up, thus the sooth a tell tale sign of too much unburnt fuel. chevron techron is a good commercial fuel system cleaner, even better if you could score some BG44K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts