RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help guys! I just bought a 1992 RRC and the headlamps aren't working and the starter won't turn. Any ideas? Put in a new battery and still nothing. I'm thinking possibly the ignition switch, or relay beneath the column? Ground connection?

·
Registered
334 Posts
If the lights aren't coming on either, then no power...

Check with a multimeter that your battery has not been drained by a mysterious source.
Check your battery terminals are not corroded.

If there is power in the batter, but your not getting power to the car, there is a break in the circuit somewhere, you just need to track it down.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Don't forget that battery cables have two ends. Thaey may be clean at the battery, but if the other end is filthy or loose you will still have work to do. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The odd thing is that the parking lights, seats, dash all work and no headlamps I thought this might be some kind of indication of a specific problem like the ignition switch or something. I'm going to look under the steering column shroud at the relays accordingly-starter relay etc... According to the PO the starter was replaced not long ago. There is a new ignition switch in the back of the vehicle so maybe I'll give it a shot. I'll replace all primary wire connections as well-cheap preventive maintenance!! I'll let you know what the culprit is if I find it. Any other ideas greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
with a bad connection, minor current can still get through. HEadlight cct is about 130W or 10 amps. You need a digital multimeter and check for resistance from negative terminal to ground to engine. once you know your ground is good then you can start checking your 12V feed.

but check all your ground connections first, easiest. take apart and use fine sandpaper to shine it up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts