RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Head gaskets rarely dump coolant into the combustion chamber. A slipped liner will just cause noise.

Cracked cylinder walls can happen when cooked hard and leak water into the combustion chamber. This is exactly why top hat “wet” liners exist but alternatively kseal does a pretty good job. Just flush it out later lol.

Leaking timing cover gaskets can cause coolant to disappear into the oil pan and that’ll come out as milkshake.

If you ever have a real problem just remember that good running 3.9s and 4.2s are dime a dozen, Don’t bother with a rebuilt block. You can put new heads, cam, dizzy, timing gear, seals and have a shop install the engine for half the price of a new short block.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks xalt (and everyone else!) I appreciate that.

At the risk or boring anyone (I'm thinking of you Minkieman :) I wanted to post an update.

Although I found a small coolant leak, I'm still consuming a good amount (I've got to add 2" worth to my overflow tank every 300-400 miles or so).

Since I passed my little block tester test (checking for combustion gasses in my coolant) and since the temp and power of my engine all seems fine, my best guess is that it's heater core related and maybe just small enough that I can't feel the dampness in my footwells.

Anyway - I've got enough good advice here to sort it out in time. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found it - thanks for sticking with me..

The coolant leak is along the seam of the engine block and the flywheel. Just to be clear - the flywheel connection is a couple inches towards the rear of the oil pan correct? That's where it's leaking.

I felt all around above that to try to make sure it wasn't coming from a heater core hose above it or from anywhere else above it...it's a PITA to get to, but I'm 90% confident that it's not coming from above, and that it's leaking along the engine block/flywheel seam.

But does that makes sense? is there coolant passing along there? I wouldn't thought it was just oil down there...

If I'm right, then how difficult of a fix is that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Lol
I am always happy to not be bored....
So the leak is in the back of the motor
I would look at freeze plugs and the pan gasket And just for kicks look at where the head seam at the block....
Is this leak a small one a minor drip?
Or is it pouring...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In the 30 minutes I was under there I probably had to clean up an amount that would have come out of a full eye dropper (off the space blanket I was laying on).

It's hard to get back there, so I was limited by what I could see with a flashlight. It was most informative to just get as far in with my hands and feel each hose and seam..etc...it seems like it's not coming from the bulkhead, or any hoses coming out of the bulkhead, or up higher on the engine near the heads or even directly on the back (cabin facing) side of the engine.

It really appears to be coming from that seam itself. It would look the same if the leak was coming from above and running down the seam, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've attached two pictures.

ok - dumb question - is that threaded hole on the bottom supposed to be empty? or is that a drain hole where the bolt has fallen out...

I didn't originally conclude that was the problem because I found leaked fluid a few inches above it, but I know leaking fluid can migrate...

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ok
You are looking at the bottom of the bell housing....
Gravity is pulling the coolant to the bottom...
Your leak is comeing from eather behind the flywheel from a rusted freeze plug
Or above at the intake pan gasket
Or the bottom of the head
Non of these would have what I would call a quick fix .here are some pics from my garage....
CBC19725-0DD3-4730-A196-A9905337C090.jpeg
0B164000-F8D4-4218-8433-7B5D59655920.jpeg
D9C9BFD5-12BE-4CA3-984C-64F6664D1AD6.jpeg
59D43A6B-C3A0-4446-A21B-D234408FBD9F.jpeg
C8600675-0142-4A3B-84FE-1979F9F96C81.jpeg

AFA9ED7C-55AF-435A-87B4-DF2B12274B5D.jpeg

The first is the bell housing with the hole... basicly a drain...
The other a crud attempt to show the
Intake pan...
But you can see the bell housing attached....
So to get to this leak
You would first have to look at the top back of your motor...then decide your course of action...
This is your Rover...and I have a 92
So you have a good one
good luck
Mike
I’m sure I mis spelled lots of stuff

·
Registered
322 Posts
Adding to above advice, at top front of motor and behind waterpump, just to left of distributor, there are two coolant hose both more or less S shaped about 1 1/2 inches diameter (these feed the heater matrix, flow + return) and are often missed if someone works on the other elements. They're not difficult to change but just fiddly and need a little time to work through them. They, if leaking, also exit first onto and then the rear area of the "top" valley pan gasket to eventually run down where you see.

If you get a light onto the ends of them to inspect for leaking, or just change them if they are old and crispy, that's a potential scource.

It's kind of good news if you can at least see the coolant running out externally, just finding the true cause to stop it now. ;)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts