RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.
My daily driver 1991 needs the AC fixed. I live in Seattle. I've never once ever considered fixing an AC system on any of my old cars. It's just not that hot up here for more than a week or so.
This summer, however, has been pretty brutal.
What cost range can I expect for a full AC rebuild on a 220,000 miles old classic? Just want to make sure the garage is in the same ballpark as reality. Motor is new, AC compressor looks new, but who knows how long it's really been in there.
Not looking for a quote, but some real-life "I took it to the shop and it cost xyz" tribal knowledge.
TIA.
Kelly.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
your truck is originally equipped with r12 refrigerant, it will not be economical to repair... first of all r12 is nearly impossible to find, the shop and mechanic need to be licensed to purchase, use and dispense said freon. By law they must be ascertain the system is fully sealed before recharging...

second option, retrofit to r134. it is highly recommended the a/c dryer/accumulator be replaced, along with permanent non removable r12 to r134 charge fitting heads.
both options require a final sealed system, recover what may be left in system, that all defective parts be replaced, system vacuumed, checked for leaks before final fill.
I cannot tell you labor cost in dollars because hourly rates, expertise and minimum flat rate amounts vary from one shop to the next not to mention est coast vrs west coast and region, but the best hourly appraisal would be 2 to 5 hrs labor plus parts and cost of freon on the low end to 8hrs labor on the high end.
the best option in my opinion is to do the 134 conversion....time to have a good conversation with your trusty mechanic/ favorite repair facility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts