RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added an aftermarket stereo and am getting no sound. The receiver gets power and I can tell it receives music via Bluetooth. But no sound comes through the speakers. I’m confident I wired the speakers correctly.

I did not connect the “powered antenna” wires to anything. Likewise, there were two thin wires (one red, the other is purple and white) that were part of the same wiring connector. (I can’t upload a picture on my phone). The purple and white is always-on power. Should the thin red wire be connected?

I have ACC power connected to the thick red wire and ground connected to the thick black wire in the car.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
you need to connect the power antenna wire as it powers the sound amplifiers (yes the 91 had 3 small amps) as well as the fm antenna signal amplifier.
another possibility, the amps may be bad. said case you may have to rewire from radio to speakers by passing amps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I connect the power antenna wire to ACC power? I know the amps work because I got sound with the factory radio I removed (the tape deck was bad). Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS - here is a picture of the wires I’m talking about. I attached the purple/white to the “always on” power on the receiver. The thin red wire is unattached. The single multi-colored wire is the power antenna wire.

View attachment 270012

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
power antenna wire connects to blue or blue white wire of the new head unit. some head units use 1 wire for antenna and amp others use 2, the ones which use wires, kill power to antenna when not using am fm wiring. instructions should tell you which blue wire is the amp power signal, on the truck you will have to look into the rave to verify.
if no instructions use a test light or volt meter, turn on head unit and verify wire color and operation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely getting close. Connected power antenna wire to white/blue on the new receiver. 12v coming from the white/blue wire. I tested the thin red wire from the car (shown above in the same mini-harness as the purple/white wire (always on power). Thin red wire has zero volts. Could that be the power to the amplifier(s)? Since it is red (ACC power?) I’m inclined to connect it to the thick red wire (ACC power). I can’t seem to access RAVE after multiple attempts. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the amp is now turning on when the radio turns on. I can hear the amp make a “click” noise when the radio turns on. The thin red wire is the problem, I think.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
you're working with 28 year old electronics in a vehicle, they have been exposed to multiple power cycles, varying temps, vibrations, dust, humidity and other extremes which a vehicle encounters. more than likely the amps are failing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts