RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The steering on my '91 RRC has had a ton of play in the steering wheel, not really picking up much until about 10° of tilt. It's not surprising given that the truck is 28 years old, but it's been problematic with freeway driving.
Over the weekend I had an assistant turn the wheel while I was underneath the vehicle; the drop arm ball joints are totally compromised and you can push them over with only a finger.
I'll be replacing those as well as the tie rod ball joints and power steering hoses as a preventative measure. I already replaced the steering shaft (from the steering wheel to the box) back in October when I rebuilt the engine.

Anyone have recommendations for other parts of the steering system I should look at before ordering parts?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've only installed one - the Bilstein kit. Can report that it works great, but unfortunately have not compared it to any of the others out there

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hadn't thought of Bilstein, but ended up going with Old Man Emu, in part because I'm familiar with ARB and aesthetics: the yellow will look good against Ardennes green.
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I used to have the bilstein damper, the truck developed a right side drift and would tire my arms after an hr or so on straight highway. the bilstein became the culprit, it had continuous stretch pressure. I went back to factory drift resolved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
FWIW, I have heard this anecdote before, but have not experienced it with my kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts