RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OM explanation of the Climate Controls for my 1991 RoW RRC didn't include some background information found in the factory manual--the attached sheet will hopefully clarify it's operation for those interested. It helped me figure out how the system works. The electrical side of this system is way more Heath Robinson....

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Wow, now there is an obscure reference I am not sure really applies. Once you understand that early Range Rovers were never designed to have A/C and accept that the A/C is entirely an add on system then everything makes perfect sense. Well at least it does in my mind thanks to my 40 years of working on British cars. It's not nearly as complicated as older GM products where you could run the A/C at full cold at face level and heater and defrost at full hot. It was great for convertible models in winter but not at all practical for blondes that couldn;t figure how to run two control panels. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, I made the Heath Robinson reference after having reviewed the electrical schematics for the system. Never seen so many diodes to make sure the electricity doesn't confuse itself. It actually is a pretty good compromise considering that the A/C was indeed an add-on, both design-wise and as an option, but that does add a bit more Heath to it vs. a clean sheet design.

Interesting that you mention the GM systems having both cold and hot at the same time. So does the 1991 (and probably others) RRC system:thumb:!! You can run the face vents at A/C cold and the footwells and/or demisters as warm as you choose. Pretty cool actually.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
This diagram and your writings are very helpful to me. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey. Thanks a ton. This does help quite a bit. My buddies now ask for more demist or more 'crappy shoe' when they're in the front seat. The control panel is a bit like an ancient decoder ring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts