RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to power directly the heater blower motor (not AC blower) on my 91 Classic. Using the relay the behind passenger kick panel, I applied direct power to terminal "87" but this starts the AC blower motor (and not the heater blower). Does anyone know how to power the blower motor directly? I've done this many times on Mercedes, but not the Range Rover.

Thanks!

Richard

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes you can power the blower directly ... you unplug the blower at the plug that is located on the right side of the heater assembly
The blower plug is on a long pigtail that winds through the assembly
It is kinda big and a three prong type...
I’ll take a pick and post it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS Mikieman! EXCELLENT pics!

Is there any way to test the motor without getting directly to the plugin? I'm trying to test the motor (which I'm certain is toast) but want be sure before tearing the dash out! I've applied direct power to a lot of Jaguar/Mercedes motors and have had great luck getting them going again.

APPRECIATE it!

Richard

·
Registered
583 Posts
Your welcome
I believe heavily in the heater assembly
It will make winter a lot nicer....
To get to the plug takes some doing
Try removing the tray in the center of the dash or the tray on the passenger side it will open to the inside close to the heater assembly
It takes patience and all hands
But that is where the plug is
You will need to upgrade the resistor
Pack.... it controls the speeds on the motor.... if it hasn’t been replaced yet
Another trick is to access the fan through the cowel
Remove the center vent above the hood and look into the assembly
The fan is there.. take a stick and turn it...,stuff can block it over time if it’s been setting ...so this can at least get it moved
I did this on my 92 and it worked
And the resistor pack is behind the next vent over above the passenger side
You can tell if it’s new
It will or should be golden in color
So if the motor is toast
And you want to replace it
It is time consuming
But not terrible
Try to find another assembly
Rebuild it
Motor and heater core
You can get the kit from Atlantic British with all the dodads
Then do a remove and replace
But I do hope the motor comes to life and heats for years to come
If there is a picture you want to see
On the assembly let me know
I’ll take it for ya

Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question. Does "high" bypass the resister? I think I have read it does. In other words, the blower should run on high even if the resister is bad. Is this corrrct? I do not have any speeds;therefore, I feel certain it's the motor itself!

·
Registered
583 Posts
It will run on eather high or low
That part I have forgotten
But it will run on one or the other

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike,

Good news;bad news! The bad is my motor is toast as expected. Good news is I found the "plugin" rather easily. If you remove the round air vent on top of the dash to the immediate right of the center coin tray, you can push the plastic vent hose forward to you. If look down, you can clearly see the plugin. I simply reached down & unplugged it. The wires going to the motor are long enough to test the red & black wires easily. I am attaching pics. I searched for a LONG time with absolutely no hits trying to find the plugin. With your help, I hope this will help others who want to absolutely know if their blower motor is bad!

Thanks again!

Richard

20190910_150057.jpg
20190910_150146.jpg
20190910_150447.jpg

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do like helping...,
But what I like better is someone taking
The help and running with it...
Awsome and cool!!
So if I haven’t said it yet
Takeing the dash apart and removing the heater assembly is not a hard job
Just time consuming...
Don’t rush it it’s one step at a time..,
Now the assembly is another story
I have one taken apart
I’ll find it and post a few pictures
Lots of adventure in rovers
Good luck
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike,

Good news;bad news! The bad is my motor is toast as expected. Good news is I found the "plugin" rather easily. If you remove the round air vent on top of the dash to the immediate right of the center coin tray, you can push the plastic vent hose forward to you. If look down, you can clearly see the plugin. I simply reached down & unplugged it. The wires going to the motor are long enough to test the red & black wires easily. I am attaching pics. I searched for a LONG time with absolutely no hits trying to find the plugin. With your help, I hope this will help others who want to absolutely know if their blower motor is bad!

Thanks again!

Richard

View attachment 281085 View attachment 281086 View attachment 281088

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
3 Participants
benzjag
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing