RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm brand new to RR, actually new to V8's as my other car is a 1997 Ford Probe 2.0L

Bear with me here, there's a point to all the junk I'm about to write.

I got this RR from my uncle for free, it had been sitting under a tarp in his back yard for at least 3 years in Kentucky.
He originally had it in the shop for 3 months due to a special order part they had to ship from Britain, some chemical in it made it so the part could not be flown to the US. While it was sitting on the Range Rover dealership's lot, the aftermarket stereo was stolen. He picked it up, drove it to the air port and left for three weeks, when he got back he started it up and drove it home. The next time he tried to start it it wouldn't start. He is a heart surgeon and was busy, so he needed a reliable car and bought a new range rover sport.

Four years later I got the car. I have done some work on it so far,

General Check of:
Wires
Relays
Grounds
Spark off of disty rotor
Spark off of high tension leads
Fuel pump (not pressure however)
Visual inspection of wires and vacuum lines (inside cab and engine both)
Cleaned and inspected electrical connectors
Visual check of disty.
Coolant Level

Replaced:
Ignition coil
Distributor cap
spark plugs
high tension wires
oil.
Battery
Relays for fuel pump and EFI

When I try to start it there is no combustion at all, it just turns over. However if I put the gas pedal all the way down and then try to start I hear a *Whump* noise every time the engine turns over. I used the shop manual and checked volts across the ignition system, and everything was in line with the shop manual, however I really can't say if it sparks or not, I try and it doesn't seem to but I rarely have someone on had to help me so its hard to say, but all the voltage checks say that the ignition system is fine (checked coil, low tension leads, high tension leads, amplifier). I have noticed that it seems to turn over rather slowly, (I plan on putting pictures and a vid on here later today), I don't know if it's turning over fast enough. To check the fuel pump since I dont have a high pressure fuel gauge I just unhooked it from the fuel rail and turned the car on, it shot about 3 to 4 inches at a 45 degree angle, I don't know if that is enough though. I was thinking that since it sat for so long the fuel filter may be inhibiting the flow of fuel to the engine, or the fuel injectors may be clogged, I plan on cleaning them out. If that doesn't work it seems I'm back to something involving the disty, coil, or starter motor.

The floor panel is also rusted out, and the ABS pump seems to freak if I plug it in (like it needs to be primed with fluid or something) but I'll worry bout that later. Besides that, it has mice nests in it (which means a interior steam clean) and the passenger seat wont move forward (but moves every other way) and a brand new tailgate/rear window. The underside is of course rusted, but not the floor panels (excluding the passenger side) and the frame is rusty but solid.

Sorry for the long first post! I'll post pics and stuff after I get off of work today, If I can't get it started I will probably sell it or part it out, but that's in the future not now. Anyways, hope I posted to the right spot, and I hope that you guys can give me a little help with this.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome to the boards.
Sounds like a similar problem that I am having

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39572

later on I intend on checking these:

http://rangerovers.net/rremedies.htm#ignition

>>and the passenger seat wont move forward

Take a look at this:

http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/seatcontrols.htm

I had a problem like this, but I didn't do a full rebuild, I just lifted the gasket top panel and protective gasket, and let it have it with the contact cleaner whilst moving the switches back and forth. They work fine now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks! I'll get pics up eventually guys, I gotta reinstall my mini-SD card slot on my computer first though. Anyone else have any ideas though? Right now I have it all apart and am cleaning up the rocker arms and will probably pull some of the valves, and take a peak at all that to see how my piston rings are holding up after all that time.

Any help would be nice, do you think that what I described could be caused by a bad ground connected to the starter system that's giving me a low spark? Any grounds that you guys can recommend?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it sat for years the fuel is no good. If you pull the plug and put it against the head you can see if its sparking or not(while trying to start it). If it turns slow jump the battery to start it to eliminate the possibilty of a low batt. With fresh gas and spark make sure there is nothing blocking the intake. All that is left is timing. The emission systems play a part in timing especially when cold. Cleaning the O2 sensor might help or need replacement. Check the timing with a light gun. Spray out the filament on the MAS with contact cleaner. The air recirculation valve on the back of the plentum gets gumed up often, spray with chock cleaner and then wd40. What was the part that it needed before? You havent been to the beach recently have you? 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, It only had about 4 gal of fuel in it before it sat Im pretty sure, cause I added 5 and now it reads a bit below half full when I turn it on. I'll try cleaning the MAS, I actually got MAF cleaner you think that will work? As for O2 Sensors, I was under the impression that those didn't come into play until the engine was hot, (thats how my probe's work) is it different on this thing?

I took it everything off down to the valve covers and cleaned every thing out/off, including soaking the tips of the injectors in seafoam (as per a friend suggested), I am chargin the battery up (it's brand new but I've been using it to attempt to start for awhile)

I think that there are 2 possibilities left
1. No spark (all my friends are girls, "ewwww I don't wanna help work on your greasy ole car" so it's hard to get an extra hand)
2. Fuel pump isn't quite up to snuff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, no spark! So I'll check all my voltages again and then start replacing things.
I noticed that on the ground strap for the ignition coil there is a little cylinder coming off of one side, the electrical diagrams say that it is a capacitor. Could this be my problem? It is pretty corroded and beat up, I assume that it grounds the coil to the ground strap, if iy could be the problem how could I go about replacing it? Does anyone know what the capacitance of it is if it is indeed a capacitor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there. Like all things mechanical it could be a variety of problems meshing together or it could be just one. I like to start simple. I can imagine some things are gummed up after sitting a while. If it has old gas, that is definitely something to deal with. You might try something really simple, which is adding Sea Foam to your gas if you've gotten the old stuff out. I once had Mistubishi Galant with a similar problem. The solution was cleaning a rotating disc that regulates fuel injection. It was gummed and could not turn and thus not deliver the fuel. Maybe check out this page if you've time. http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use- ... tment.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, the first thing I did was put in seafoam, so now I have fuel pressure, and when the pickup coil arrives I should have spark `)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts