Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it rained a lot awhile back and some some drops forming in the inside. I decided to do what at the time I thought was smart and retract the sunroof and clean all 4 drain holes. But a bigger problem occurred, the sunroof is stuck open. The motor can move it back and forth an inch or so, but that's it. Any advice on how to repair. I'm not the handiest of guys, but the local shop quoted $1200+ and that's too rich for my blood.

Also does anyone have a favorite site to find center consoles. I live in America and have had difficulty finding one.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
102 Posts
You can get to the sunroof motor by taking off the front overhead light panel. The motor has a slot where you can manually close the sunroof. Mine came with a fancy looking tool, but a screwdriver should work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's the motor as it can move electronically an inch forward and back from where it's at. Part of me thinks that the sunroof is some how wedged/stuck and therefore would need to remove the headliner to free it. I'm fine with the sunroof not working, but if I could somehow manually close it, I'd be better off than where I am today with it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
In the event of powered sunroof problems, LR provided a tool to allow you to manually close it.
RRC_Sunroof.jpg

Just do as ARPhillips suggests and remove the overhead courtesy light panel to gain access.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the car is 25+ year old and gone through a few owners, who knows where that tool is. I've used a flat head screwdriver to access behind the courtesy light to change out the switch before. Do you know what substitute tool would work to close the sunroof or where I could find one?

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can probably just us a large flat-blade screwdriver. I'll try and remember to measure mine when I get home.

·
Registered
950 Posts
When the sunroof normally operates as it reaches the closed position the torque on the drive builds up as it can no longer travel forwards,
this causes the rear edge to lift up into the park (level with surrounding roof area) but should obviously only happen at the right point.
If the transit rails are too stiff for the motor to bring the roof along its track then the mechanical operation starts to jack the rear of the panel while it's still in the open or semi open position, resulting in the moving panel binding against the underside of the main roof panel.

If you look at the outside when you operate the close switch then you'll see the roof panel pushing upward.

If you can get your fingers to the front of the moving panel and pull it forward then get someone to operate the close switch then with your additional assistance it will usually move without lifting so you can then pull it all the way shut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@RRLondon. That seemed to do the trick. The front was wedged tight enough that I needed to use a couple flathead screwdrivers to use as leverage and angle up. This relieved enough pressure that the motor pulled it forward fine.

Thanks everyone for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts