Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm new to the forum, but not new to Land Rover land. This is my second 89' Classic and my first heater core redo. I replaced the heater core and did a full reassembly and found that the heater blower is also inop. It makes a noise like it is spinning but the fan puts out zero air, as if the motor is spinning but the fan is not or is unattached, and the spinning increases in speed/volume as I turn up the fan speed, so it is increasing in voltage. Fan works fine on A/C. I know that these are separate motors, and I have read every thread that I could on this subject, so here is my question:

My local British mechanic seems to think that I can remove the A/C fans and be able to access and remove the heater blower motor from underneath the dash (passenger side). I feel that it would take removing the top of the dash at least. Which is correct?

I'm hoping that this is not a FULL dash removal as that was just done for the core. Please tell me it's not. Any thoughts or shortcuts? Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
As the heater blower is part of the heater box then the same procedure applies to both the blower and core replacement. This is why many people replace the blower while they are replacing the core. Look at it this way, it will be much faster this time around since you are a pro at it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm trying to figure out now is where to get a heater blower. I was just told by Atlantic British that they dont make them anymore for the 89 and they don't know when or if they will ever have them again. I called Rovers North and same story. They said to try and cross reference it with something else, which I have worked on all day but have found nothing. Wondering about retrofitting an inline marine blower like they do on old Series models. I need heat!
Suggestions?

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Depending on the VIN of your car, the blower could be RTC6680 or RTC6693. The first is no longer available but the second one is and is also used in the Discovery 1 too although I suspect yours is the earlier one. If the motor is working but the fan isn't turning, that suggests something has got stuck in there to jam it and it is spinning on the shaft so should be repairable if you can get it out. Can you turn the fan by poking at it through the intake vents? The blower motor was seized in my '93 and I considered fixing 2 or 3 of the square computer type fans together and fitting them in from the front (through the intake vents) as to get to the motor would involve removing the entire dash to get the heater box out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have thought about taking it out and epoxying the fan to the shaft, but worry about this long term. I have been told that the blower can be accessed by removing the a/c fans and glove box area, but have seen conflicting opinions. In old VW vans, people like me fashion a big inline marine blower to pull heat from the motor and push it into the cab: http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/heater-booster-fan.7939/

I was just wondering if I got two small ones and tied them into the defrost hoses if it would pull heat out of the heater box, since the heater core is brand new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts