Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all! I'm working on installing a new stereo into my 89 Range Rover Classic.

There are 4 RCA type cables that feed the original speakers. I'm assuming one wire (both positive and negative) to each speaker, the Sony unit that I recently bought has 8 individual wires to the speakers, positive and negative to 4 speakers. Thought I might be able to splice the new Sony unit's wires to the RCA but no go. On the RCA cable I used the inner core wire as positive and outer as negative in the splice. Unit powers up - no worries on figuring out the switched, positive, and ground wires - but I'm not getting any sound from speakers.

Any info would be HUGEly Appreciated!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The 2 RCA cables go to two amps under driver's seat (assuming 1 front set of speakers and 1 back set of speakers). Now I am truly confused how to tie into these two amps. The new Sony unit only has 2 RCA Jack outputs for an amp/subwoofer. Anybody?

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
You've got the upmarket stereo system with external amps so it is expecting to see line level from the head unit. Two choices, go back to the original stereo or bypass the amps so you can wire directly to the speakers.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
you do not need to take out the factory amps when fitting a new head unit, they most likely the only peice of equipment in the stereo system that does not degrade. Though, you will likely need a HU with 4channel RCA output to properly utilize both speakers.

If you do not wish to do that, gillbert is right, might have to run new speaker wires. Bypassing the amp will most likely take just as long as running new lines.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gents, figured it out yesterday, just bypassed the amps, ran new speaker wires to the original speaker wires that the amp plugged into.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
60 Posts
Read this thread on Bimmer Forums. Land Rover was owned by BMW when yours was produced. I happen to own a '94 BMW and a '95 RRC and the sound systems are identical to the point that you can put a BMW badged head unit in a RRC and visa-versa. There is an "optimum" way to wire an aftermarket stereo unit into these vehicles with their own amps and I would HIGHLY recommend doing it this way. The speakers and amps in these vehicles are awesome. The only place they skimped at all was on the head units. Wire and aftermarket stereo in correctly and the sound will be above average.

Good Luck!!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...h-stock-amp-speakers&highlight=stereo+install

1 - 6 of 6 Posts