Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I am buying a 1989 Range rover. the A/C currently is not working, not sure why, havnt checked it out thoroughly yet, but it needs to be switched over to R34a. the seller told me there is a shop that can do it for $300. I was wondering if anyone knows if this switch, as far as the parts that need to be replaced, is easy to do for the d it yourselfer, or if its something that should be left to the professional. I am by no means an expert mechanic but have done a lot of work on vehicles in the past, such as oil changes, changing water pumps, alternators, radiators, distributor caps, transmission swaps etc. Also, exactly what needs to be swapped out and what is the process for the conversion? I would appreciate any input.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Rather than change everything you can put in a drop-in replacement refrigerant which is a blend containing R134a and other non-CFC hydrocarbons but an oil that is compatible with the seals used in an R12 system. I filled my 93 Classic LSE and 91 Maserati with some stuff called Johnsen's Freeze 12 and it worked perfectly. No need to change anything, just connect the hose and put it in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, first you really should figure out why it isn't working. If there's a leak, it really won't matter what you put in there and you'll be frustrated by the lack of cooling in Texas! Get a shop to check the freon level, and if low put a vacuum on the system so they can confirm it is sound. Low freon is the most likely issue for it not to work, but if that's good then it could be an electrical issue instead. Generally if you have a system designed for R12, and you still have the freon on there, it will cool more efficiently than putting something else in there.

Assuming it does end up being the freon leaked out, once you fix the leak I agree with Gilbertd on Freeze 12, but I would also replace the dryer. You can drain the oil out of the old one once removed and get a good idea of how much to add to the new one. Then ideally you'll want to get a vacuum on it before refilling.

Paying someone to work on AC systems can get expensive so over the years I've built up the tools needed so I don't have to pay every time. But I do like staying cool in the Virginia humidity!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. First thing I will take it in and make sure the system is sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts