RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '88 has a non-working speedometer and odometer; this is the early cable driven, non-electronic type. I have searched through past threads which point to the right angle drive at the speedometer or the cable. I took my instrument panel off the dash and when I attach a square-drive bit to the right angle drive, the speedometer moves. Likewise, when I move the truck forward, the speedometer cable end turns like it should What else am I missing here? Any insight would be appreciated. Joe

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the grease in the right angle gear would harden thus not allowing it to turn, also there is a small box mounted on the frame, it is named transducer check input and output operation of it.
worse case scenario you need the speedo clock.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have had a case (on a Land Rover Series 3) where I changed the speedo cable with a new (Britpart) item and after a few miles the speedo/odo stopped. Took a part reassembled and same thing happened. Some more trouble shooting and I found that the inner cable was too short and it would slide down and disengage at the top. Bought a Bearmach cable and was fine.

Check the connection at the bottom and top. Remove any old grease and relub with oil.

The transducer was added later to give a speed signal to the engine management system. My 83 does not have this, but yes I presume you can research to see if this transducer has a habit of interfering with the mechanical connection.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
The transducer was added later to give a speed signal to the engine management system. My 83 does not have this, but yes I presume you can research to see if this transducer has a habit of interfering with the mechanical connection.
you're correct the transducer signals the ecu when to hold idle and activate the cruise control thru the internal pulse signal which is sent via 2 wires signal in/out , the 88 would not have electronic speedo, it was not added until mid 1989 for the 1990 model year. thus in the early models there are 2 cables one from the trans to the transducer it is about 1 foot long then the long cable from transducer output to speedo.
the later models did away with the cable to the speedo. in late 94 they did away with cables and transducers in favor of speed sensor at trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this information. I did notice that the square drive on the speedometer cable coming into the instrument cluster tends to slide inward as it turns. I can pull it out, but it works its way back down. I'll take your advice and get a new one and give an update once installed. Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts