RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover Classic, 1988 chassis, 1992 200TDI engine
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I've done a search and read some of the other threads on electric door mirrors and most seem to be linked to electric seat motors. I don't have electric seats, just good old fashioned manual adjustment.

My door mirrors groan when I try to use the switch to adjust them, the move about a mil or two side to side but not up or down.

I've gathered taking the switch apart and cleaning things is a good start, but any further advice or tips?

Cheers,

J

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
100 Posts
Sometimes a carbon filled ignition switch will stop seats, mirrors, & other things not to work. Might wanna have a look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes a carbon filled ignition switch will stop seats, mirrors, & other things not to work. Might wanna have a look.
I've got an electrician buddy coming to have a look tomorrow so I'll add that to the list of things to check - thanks!

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
My RR is a classic 1989 model, i had to take my mirrors apart as it was working and then when I went to operate the RHT it would blow the fuse. Ended up pulling the mirror apart as the switch worked when i bench trialled it. Eventually I found that the wires were broken and they were shorting when power was applied. If you have a manual you can easily push on the inside of the mirror and pull the mirro off and then unscrew the motors. They may only need to be lubricated. hopefully this works. I am assuming of course that the 88 model is the same as the 89 model.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ricl, I have a manual that covers 87-90 so I think your assumption is right.
That's really useful to know - I pulled the switch and bench tested it yesterday and it appears to be in working order, unscrewed the motor and found there wasn't much access to it but put a multimeter onto the tiny bit of exposed contact on the RH side and saw no activity.
Next plan is to test whether there is anything at the loom where the mirror plugs in to see if I can isolate the fault to the mirror (which would be good, as they're not too expensive to replace) or if the problem might be in the loom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts