RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
On my recently acquired '88 Classic with a 3.5, the coolant temp hangs around too close to the red, overheat section of the gauge. This is far more than my previous Classics. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, coolant temp sensor, fan clutch, and the overflow cap with the correct units since I was unsure of the age of these items. It didn't cure the gauge staying close to the red, but I did observe that the thermostat didn't open up until the gauge moved almost to red. It did cool down somewhat at this point, but the gauge was still about 3/4 of it travel. I read on the web that the instrument cluster coolant gauge utilizes a resistor that could be out of spec. Is this so? What is the best way to proceed with troubleshooting my potential overheating problem?

My second problem has to do with the heater blower. It works fine in AC mode, but shuts off in heat mode. Where do I need to look to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The heater fan and the air fans are two different units
The heater fan is in the heater assembly
The problem can be
The resistors..or the fan motor itself
Sometimes they can kinda freeze up

An old trick is to open the air intake and look through the cowl vents
You can see the fan
Take a stick and reach in and turn the fan
It might free it up so it can kick in
I have done this and it worked
The resistor pack is also in the cowl
On the passenger side
And to replace the fan you have to remove the assembly
Good luck

Mike

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
362 Posts
Pre-90 heater motors are NLA, the fan units are going to need to be rebuilt or I forgot if the connectors can be spliced up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to dive into my investigation of why my truck wants to overheat. Upon taking off the coolant hoses going to the plenum, I found rust clogging both the rubber hoses and coolant feed to the intake manifold. I assume the previous owner went a while with nothing but tap water in the cooling system. I am going to continue tearing it apart and clean everything. Below are some pictures of what I found so far. IMG_20181202_175639115[1].jpg IMG_20181202_175229865_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20181202_175316510[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
holy convulsions, I would suggest having the radiator cleaned, flushing cooling system with out radiator and maybe even replacing heater core. after all each of those major components may be as old as the vehicle. that is a lot of rust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts