RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this 80k mile SoCal '87 RRC today. fully disassembled interior but the 3.5l is in great shape and the body is dry and straight. Paint isnt actually all that bad once I hosed her off (see before and after). Need some TLC for sure but looking forward to binging back to a former glory. I have had too many RRC ( all 95's except one 93 mosswood ) but this first offer year US model is exciting. Hoping some early experts are game to share advice and direction.

• original audio specs? deck?
  • general consensus on mud tire size
  • if anyone has a treasure trove of parts, DM me :)
ill try to upload progress pics as they come.

AP

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cool project! I might have a correct seat cover for you somewhere in leather, need to check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Been working on this the last 4 months. Let her sit for the first few while I collected random parts, not sure iii really needed them or not. Motor didn't need a ton to get it into a good place. I was praying for that but based on the low orig mileage, I felt confident. Still has a quirk here and there, but seemingly all workable. All new cats (CA) and exhaust, shocks, lots of bushings.

Paint was just shot so I thought hard on a color change. I normally never would but I am just not of fan of the original blue. I decided on Balmoral Green, an 85 color, but close enough. Single stage. Getting the color right was a bitch, but worth the effort. It lighter than I thought, but really handsome in person. I used this truck below for inspiration, although im going to retro it a little bit with some badging and vert grill, removing the lower front grill spoiler and fogs.

Slowly taking the interior apart, next month sending to the upholstery shop for the works : new headliner, leather front and back, new carpets, and re-dye all the interior plastic, etc. Orig owner was a LA Phil musician and rigged this very intricate sound system with 12 speakers that had to all be pulled out. Total mess and wreaked some havoc on the plastic, mainly the dash. Hoping we can repair prior to re-dye. To be honest, I am sure I'm missing some things as most was in boxes when I bought her but we'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'll also most certainly have excess, so if you are needing 87-89 specific parts, mark this page as I'll post as we go along.

Pulled all the wood and restrained and oiled over the weekend. Dramatic difference. If anyone has a suggestion on a sealer that maintains the oiled look, im all ears. I was going to try Rubio Monocoat 2 part in clear?

She at the body shop now, had plenty of little dings, one decent dent in a door panel but no evidence of any accidents or real damage. Pushing them to really give her a spot in the rotations to get some paint down over the next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more photos

Also, powder coated all 5 original wheels and put new shoes on. Just did the three spokes in full silver, as it blurred the line between retro and stock restoration. I wasnt sure about tires, read a bunch of forum opinions that were all over the shop so .. I went with GT Grabber ATs.

Stay tuned. I always appreciate reading these from other members. They're not easy and I am awful at remembering to take photos, especially before, but trying!

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
190 Posts
Wheels look great, excited to see the result of the paint, great color choice. Would you be willing to share how much the paint is running? I want to do a color change on mine, which was repainted in a non-factory color before I got it, and prices seems to vary from decently expensive to absolutely obscene.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice work, I'll be watching the thread too.

The green looks good and not often seen, many of the dark metallic green over here but your choice really will stand out.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
123 Posts
Nice color change. Have you done anything to the interior?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice color change. Have you done anything to the interior?
interior is just getting underway. taking everything out, and doing lizardskin heat and sound first, then putting down fresh everything, a bit darker than stock, still hunting for some bits and bobs.

Speaking of, anyone know the part numbers for the door lock plungers and collar trims for that MY? I looked in the parts book and it lists the rectangular trims and posts for 87 but that isn't correct?

Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just went to paint shop to see the color. Looks pretty good for fresh paint pre finishing. Super happy with the color.

Not wild about that tail hinge oversight, but they assured me they would pull it and dip it, and re-spray it correctly. Tons of new replacement parts dropped for reassembly. Should look pretty clean from the exterior in a week or so,

Interior on the other hand .....'

TBC

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got the call yesterday that paint wrapped up and they were finishing up in the next few days. I took 4 of my 5 fresh wheels over today to mount them on.

Color looked great, especially when the trim started going on. The spray on the hood I wasn't thrilled with , so I am having them sand and re-spray the hood and cowl. Rest of the truck came out really nice. Single stage paint def has its drawbacks, but man when its good...

Here's a few progress :

00 - 1 (7).jpeg

00 - 1 (8).jpeg

Interior is still a hot mess, but getting there. Decided late in the game to spray LizardSkin, so im going a touch out of order.

Also a LOVELY pool of ATF waiting for me. Grrrr.

And discovered I need a Driver's side mirror.

Plenty of other discoveries waiting

to be continued..

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
190 Posts
Well you know what they say about everything British, if there's no fluid dripping under it, there's no fluid in it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been an eventful week.

Pulled a good bit more of the interior out, vacuumed all the years of junk and gunk out ( so much weird stuff ) wire brush any minimal surface rust spots, sealed, primed, and prepped for the spray in sound deadener and ceramic heat coating. I was skeptical about the spray in but a buddy raved about it so I though why not try?

I am impressed! Sound deadener worked great and the temp inside this aluminum can is drastically reduced.

let it cure for 48hours and then started her back up to take to upholstery shop to finish up. Loading the spare in just in case and I see smoke coming from the read dome light wire and the dash fusebox! DAMMIT

I have no idea how this didn't happen sooner, but whoever pulled the headliner out didn't tape off the ends of the live wire and just left it to dangle. My fault for not noticing. So I am stalled, looking for a 1 or 2 year only fusebox replacement so my electrician can come over and swap it out. :mad:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow you would think a fuse would just blow that would be that. What's with all the smoldering? Great progress otherwise. Keep it coming, especially with pictures. Always love a good rebuild thread.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice work, I'd like to do something like it to have a "reset" vehicle.

Replacement for PRC4826 20 Way Lucas Rists, Bulkhead Blade Fuse Holder Black - automotiveconnectors.com this may help with fuse panel as much of the British Leyland looms etc where produced by a company called "Rists" even though labelled as Lucas.

If you use that in search criteria it brings up more potential, maybe Triumph cars in your market would show compatibility, things like TR7 & 8 also Rover Sd1 all used the same era kit, so could yield something.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts