Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 RRC
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next on the list to fix on my truck is an inaccurate fuel gauge
Do I need to drop the fuel tank to replace the sending unit?

The 87 RRC has the sending unit separate of the fuel pump assembly
The sending unit is on the left side of the metal fuel tank and seems accesible from the side but I know the float is long and bends. can i remove and replace without dropping the tank?

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1988 vogue
180 Posts
before you pull the float assy Have you checked all the connections ? Bad ground or dirty sender wire connection will play havoc with you.. if you get someone to sit in the car ignition on pull the wire from the sender unit and put it to ground the gauge should go straight to full

·
Registered
1987 RRC
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
before you pull the float assy Have you checked all the connections ? Bad ground or dirty sender wire connection will play havoc with you.. if you get someone to sit in the car ignition on pull the wire from the sender unit and put it to ground the gauge should go straight to full

gave this a shot and the gauge didn't move straight to full
:confused:

·
Registered
1988 vogue
180 Posts
Ok
the gauge won’t shoot up to full immediately but it will rise all the way up at a steady pace while you watch it.
in the picture item 51 is the sender unit this is basically a resistor so if you ground the sender wire you are effectively telling the system you have a full tank as you can see one side goes to earth/ ground and the other side goes to the fuel gauge item 50 I do notice that this unit goes through the multi connection centre this is the block bit we spoke about on the binnacle for the alternator are you sure this is ok? Does the temperature gauge work ok? Are you sure you have good ground at The sender end…

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 RRC
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok
the gauge won’t shoot up to full immediately but it will rise all the way up at a steady pace while you watch it.
in the picture item 51 is the sender unit this is basically a resistor so if you ground the sender wire you are effectively telling the system you have a full tank as you can see one side goes to earth/ ground and the other side goes to the fuel gauge item 50 I do notice that this unit goes through the multi connection centre this is the block bit we spoke about on the binnacle for the alternator are you sure this is ok? Does the temperature gauge work ok? Are you sure you have good ground at The sender end…
so I watched the gauge and it didn’t move when grounded.My low fuel light does come on tho. My temperature and gas gauge do work but the gas gauge will never show full even when I have filled up the tank completely.

Im getting a new alternator in tomorrow to hopefully fix that tachometer issue ha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts