RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Range Rover that I am restoring, I have had this vehicle for about a year, it has recently began stalling usually as I get into the accelerator but not always, I have replaced the coil the ignition amplifier and the fuel pump, have also checked the ignition switch which was loose but has been repaired, I have tried pulling and jiggling wires have checked the grounds I could find. The Rover runs great and I've enjoyed it greatly but I am just about ready to give up on it. Please any help will be appreciated greatly.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
Maybe the fuel pump relay or a blocked fuel filter.

Is it stalling because of fuel or spark? One way to see is to put the timing light on it, if it is still sparking but stalling then the problem is in the fuel.

You could also give it a blast of ether if it starts to falter and see if that makes it run - that would suggest a fuel problem.

What fuel injection system is it on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
please give us more details.

is your EFI system Lucas Jetronic (Flapper MAF)?or upgraded to later Hotwire?
is it still 3.5 or upgraded to 3.9(or other)?
Automatic or Manual Transmission?
in which position of gas pedal or load/speed it happens (hill climb? highway cruise)?
is it dependent to engine working temperature?
is it more happening in night driving? (while you use lights and other ancillaries)

there are many possibilities ...

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
If it's naturally aspirated,check for cracks in your fuel suction line or a bash in the bottom of your fuel tank,that could be blocking the in tank strainer,a fairly simple fix if the tank is not entirely full.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I had similar issues with my '95 RRC, which had been parked on my driveway for ~10 years. After replacing the gas tank (recall work), this is what we found in my new tank, pump, and sender. Most if it appeared to be charcoal particles, but there was also rust.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fuel injection is Lucas Jetronic 3.5 liter engine auto trans already installed new filter and fuel line when the new tank and pump were installed the temp doesn't matter generally happens when the accelerator is pressed taking off or beginning an incline sometimes on flat ground just accelerating has happened just idling but very seldom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to thank each of you for all you help and suggestions,It is the throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just in case that wasn't it (and for anyone else following this thread)... Mine stalled on occasion but I didn't know why because the Check Engine bulb had been removed by the previous owner, so I didn't know I had a CEL on (I figured "service engine" was the same thing, and that one always went out). It had at least one bad O2 sensor, and this caused the ECU to take drastic measures to see if it could make the sensor respond (like cutting fuel). This often made it stall. So make sure your check engine light works (not "service engine" light), and check any codes you may have...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts