RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a 1987 Classic with 109K miles on the clock for $1500.
She's seen better days but overall I'm very pleased, runs surprisingly strong.

I'd like to start with a major tuneup, changing fluids, filters, belts, and hoses, where do you guys go to buy parts????

I also need a few interior pieces, everything is there but some parts are broken, the window switch panel and the passenger side A-pillar cover. Is there a place that sells new OEM interior pieces or is the junk yard my only option???

I also need to fix the speedometer and the RPM gauge, would also like to get everything to light up a bit more. Lastly when shifting from Drive to Reverse the transmission makes a loud "clunk", but it only happens when going from D to R.

One more thing, has anyone updated it their sound system without making it look modern and out of place???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone used the K&N oil filter #PS-3001??? Is about twice the length of the other oil filters, any advantages or disadvantages??? does it even fit???

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not intending to step on any toes, but I use both Atlantic British and Rovers North for parts. As for lube oil filters, I use the OEM suggested type or equivallent...these newer type filters, to me anyway, are far TOO restrictive and can (and has on a few of my other older vehicles) caused lifter noise...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started with the tune up, Just did the oil change today, used almost 8qts(about 2 gal) of Rotella T 15w40 and a wix oil filter part# 1459 from napa. I'm now waiting for my air filter and transmission filter to arrive so that I can tackle the tranny next and make my way towards the back of the car.

There seems to be a leak of some sort, there's oil gunk on most of the engine bay. I would like to clean/degrease the engine bay to pinpoint the leak but have no idea on how to go about it, what parts need to be protected from water and degreaser and how do I protect them???

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
The threads you referenced would be first hand from the people commenting. You should have more than enough info in that many threads. Cover the disributor, soak in degreaser of choice and hose off. Stiff brush works well for the caked/burnt on bits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts