RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. This is my first ever post to anything so forgive any mistakes.
I have 1975 RR with Stromberg carbies. I've had it for over 30years and never had the following problems. It suddenly started pouring fuel out in a stream so I had them serviced with new bits and pieces. Since then, it will suddenly lose power while driving, as if running on half cylinders. If I pull the choke it improves. After months of searching we think it may be the dashpots which keep emptying. They may have been low on oil for years as I never checked them. I've read other ideas which said to use 30grade oil. Still kept draining. Have changed fuel pump and filter. It went back to same serviceman yesterday who put in thin sewing machine oil. Drove 30km home with no probs but the dashpots are way down again. Oil doesn't measure on the plunger. Can I ask- can it be possible that the oil level can be so low and have no effect or symptoms? Where is the oil going- is it leaking from the top and burning off so you can't see a leak at the top? It can disappear in 2 weeks just sitting in the shed?
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Elizabeth (from Aus)

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
I would take them back to who you had service them. The dampener simply stops the pots opening too quickly. So when you hit the throttle it does not suddenly let a lot of air in that would too much for the engine. Therefore it should only make a difference when opening or closing the throttle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you considered updating the truck with the Edelbrock intake and Performer carb? Frees up some loose horsepower and rids you of the awful side huffers..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help an advice. I have sent it for a birthday as the transmission was leaking badly. While they test drove it, there was that sudden loss of power. After a couple of weeks work it appears to be a faulty electronic fuel injection which was fitted decades ago. The car is still being worked on, as the throttle cable broke while on another test drive and a selector cable to do with the auto transmission was threadbare. They have had to tow it twice now. Should get it back in mid January. I'll have to monitor the dashpots as no-one thinks there is a problem.
So thanks to you guys for replying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts