Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a front differential housing. for the 1974 range rover classic. I found one but the diff takes a 24 spline axle shaft and my axle shafts are 10 spline. is it possible to switch the third member that I have that is 10 spline into the diff case that has a 24 spline third member? also I would need a new left hand axle shaft because mine is bent to crap.... any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my axle housing has a big bend in it and the diff case is cracked so it leaks all its fluid. all the gears in my diff are fine still tho. so I have found a complete front axle and I want to use the housing as a replacement for mine.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
18 Posts
so why not just do an axle swap on the front, if the one you have found is complete? i expect that the brakes may have to be changed back to the originals, but unless someone has changed the crown and pinion gears, the ratio will still be the same. 10 vs 24 spline isn't really a difference imho... never seen the splines get tore off, seen lots of axle shafts brake, but not the splines.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
ive been told that the gear ratio would not match the ratio in the rear axle. so I would have to switch it out aswell. is this true?
All Range Rover and Discovery diff ratios were 3.54 as standard. So unless someone has either changed the diff ratio from standard in the one you found or in your unit, the ratios will be the same.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
18 Posts
Can't remember of the top of my head the tooth count on the ring and pinion gears, but if you count the teeth on both then divide the pinion teeth number into the crown teeth number, that will give you the ratio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.