RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, I am dealing with a 1973 Rangie with original "military" style gas cap that leaks. The latch button is very secure, the sealing plate is firm against it's springs with very little movement. Around town it seals quite nicely. However at freeway speed the sealing plate either vibrates or lifts enough to allow a vacuum to form. Any ideas how to keep this from happening?

·
Registered
300 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Howdy folks, I am dealing with a 1973 Rangie with original "military" style gas cap that leaks. The latch button is very secure, the sealing plate is firm against it's springs with very little movement. Around town it seals quite nicely. However at freeway speed the sealing plate either vibrates or lifts enough to allow a vacuum to form. Any ideas how to keep this from happening?
Could you post a pic of it, I'm not sure what the early ones look like :think:

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies, but the rig is not here right now. Here is a shot from the net.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Err... why YES IT IS. Are you one of the few folks that know this rig?

All of the major mechanicals are done. It has a terrific 300TDi conversion. Now there are just a few odd ball items and cosmetics to take care of. Not having diesel running down the side is one thing on the punch list.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the milk truck! So how do we keep the cap from leaking? :?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
That's the milk truck! So how do we keep the cap from leaking? :?
GGW-ed if I know.
I've never owned a cap like that.
I'd say its either the seal or part of the assembly is slightly twisted.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumb: That's the answer I was lurking for! :lol:

There are no seals on this type of cap. It is a mated surface with the cap plate being spring loaded and floating. The cap plate is nice and flat (checked with a straight edge) and the springs are VERY firm.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
:thumb: That's the answer I was lurking for! :lol:

There are no seals on this type of cap. It is a mated surface with the cap plate being spring loaded and floating. The cap plate is nice and flat (checked with a straight edge) and the springs are VERY firm.
The panel must be moving.
How much of the inner structure has been cut away to accommodate camper type stuff?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt if any of it was. Everything was built around a standard two door fitment. I suppose rust is a possibility however. Then again, the cap is anchored to the filler tube so if the panel were to flex the tube and cap would flex as one unit.

Keep the idea comming! I am up for any suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,131 Posts
This is strictly from viewing the pictures...

Little confused on why the gasket not seating properly would create a vacuum, so I may be way off on this...

Is it possible the hinge bracket is bent outwards? Thus sealing tight lower edge but not so much towards the hinge side?
Has the rubber boot possibly got a crack that only opens when flex'd/squeezed?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is no gasket on this type. It is two mated metal surfaces. One being the filler tube which has a rather wide lip and the second being the actual lid. The lid has a large metal disc which is spring loaded, floats and presses against the filler lip when latched. Being spring loaded there is no worries about a misaligned lid or latch assembly. The disc is flat as previously noted and there are no nicks or dents in the filler lip. It works great until you get to highway speed and then if the tank is more than half full it leaks.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
All the relevant brethers on the tank are good and clear, not likely to suffer any vibration?
The tank mountings are secure and non-corroded?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Is it possible that the cap is sitting to far out on the bodywork and increased airflow at motorway speeds is lifting the flap enough for fuel to come through?

·
Registered
300 Posts
After viewing the pictures I think your best bet is to buy some thicker rubber and make up a new seal out of that :think:

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,131 Posts
:think: Metal on metal seal? The pictures look for all the world like there's some rubber components there...

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll let him know, however there is no place to put a rubber seal.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I thought the rubber seal was on the actual flap/cap, rather than on the vehicle side. I had one of these on my 1974 Classic. The seal was actually one big round piece of rubber on the inside of the cap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts