RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to Range Rovers and this my first, have no knowledge of them just always wanted an early 2 door and finally got around to getting one.

So a total rookie with these and I have made a mistake.

My box started leaking from a previously repaired crack (Now I know it's a 3pin)

I bought a new one from John Craddock 4 pin.
Bolted it onto the car and the pipe from the pump to the box wouldn't screw in!!!!

I've ruined the pipe and now I'm stuck with no car.

Do I have any options or do I need to find a 2nd hand 3 pin box and another pipe?

Can you even put a 4 pin box on a car that had a 3 pin box??

I'm soo confused I hope someone can help me.

Been without the car for 6 months now!!!

I know the threads for the pump end and the new box and was going to make a pipe out of copper but that's probably a bad idea.

I've spoken to hydraulic companies to make me a new pipe but they want to use the ends off of my old one which I've ruined and wouldn't screw into the box anyway!!!

Thank you in advance

Steve

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
249 Posts
I would remove the box and damaged plumbing and find a reputable hydraulic shop to fabricate the lines – a good shop should be able to reverse engineer everything.

·
Registered
424 Posts
For a new hydraulic hose end you could buy one for the four bolt box which would give you both ends to then get a hose made up locally as you'd be in possession of the correct ends. Either new or from a vehicle breaker.

I've not swapped 3 to 4 bolt so can't contribute much, but it looks like (from manuals) that it's not a specific problem. You'll have to suck it and see as you're mostly there anyway, if no obvious show stoppers other than hose ends I can't immediately see why it shouldn't.

They can be a difficult connect in situ with the hoses correct as if you get any misalignment it's veeeery easy to cross thread them. Maybe easier to fit hoses to steering box outside car beforehand, then mount it and connect to pump.

For the hose nuts, I ground a cut into the correct sized ring spanner ( making a split ring) as it's difficult to do with a flat open ended one. Also slowed myself down and added a lump of patience!!! as it can be frustrating to get them in straight and true.

Which area are you in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a new hydraulic hose end you could buy one for the four bolt box which would give you both ends to then get a hose made up locally as you'd be in possession of the correct ends. Either new or from a vehicle breaker.

I've not swapped 3 to 4 bolt so can't contribute much, but it looks like (from manuals) that it's not a specific problem. You'll have to suck it and see as you're mostly there anyway, if no obvious show stoppers other than hose ends I can't immediately see why it shouldn't.

They can be a difficult connect in situ with the hoses correct as if you get any misalignment it's veeeery easy to cross thread them. Maybe easier to fit hoses to steering box outside car beforehand, then mount it and connect to pump.

For the hose nuts, I ground a cut into the correct sized ring spanner ( making a split ring) as it's difficult to do with a flat open ended one. Also slowed myself down and added a lump of patience!!! as it can be frustrating to get them in straight and true.

Which area are you in?
Thank you for your reply.

I'm in Maidstone Kent.

The problem I'm having with hydraluic hose makers is they tell me they can't flare the ends of the steel pipe so can't make me a 'new pipe from scratch.

I know the ends are M14 1.5 pitch and M16 1.5 pitch so have the unions ready I just need someone that can flare steel pipe and make me a hose.

I'm tempted to start again and buy a three pin one second hand but I'm £400 odd quid in already what with messing about with hose and buying connectors etc.

To be honest I never thought I've trying the hoses outside the car as I stupidly just thought they would fit.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would remove the box and damaged plumbing and find a reputable hydraulic shop to fabricate the lines – a good shop should be able to reverse engineer everything.
Thanks for your reply, can you recommend anyone??

All the hose makers I've spoke to cannot flare the steel pipes and need to reuse my old hose ends which is no good to me.
I need someone to make me new ends also.

Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not too far from you and worth a call as they usually have something to adapt most things in my experience

Think Automotive Ltd

They're in Ashford (Middlesex) and isleworth near Hounslow, but certainly call and discuss as they're pretty helpful and have for many years been Aeroquip suppliers which allows for many combinations of fitment.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
249 Posts
I am US based - however, willing to assist. Do you happen to have a part number? I understand they are NLA, but it would be helpful along with photos.

Also, you may be able to use the ends from a later model hose/pipe?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi
im in Maidstone as well!!
guess you have tried all type at parkwood or farmworld hydraulics at Ashford,,
if you want used parts .. ring Tim he knows all the techs info about range rovers And writes for the land rover mag, he also breaks range rovers and has a huge parts stock, he supplied me with loads of parts during my restoration very helpful guy, although he’s based in Yorkshire he is very reasonable and happy to post stuff
(if no good now keep him in your list for the future) 07825490149 message him if he doesn’t answer he will come back to you.
also have you spoken to hosequip Colchester +44 (0) 1206 231103 they will make you the hose required by mail

1 - 11 of 11 Posts