RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post and a new member. I've used the search function and google extensively, and have not found a good answer to my question.

Has anyone successfully fitted 18" LR3 wheels on a late-model L322 (5.0, non-supercharged)? From what I can gather, the Compomotive or Mudtech wheels should fit, and Scott Brady from ExpeditionPortal mentioned the LR3 wheels should fit the Rover with 1.25" wheel adapters (e.g., Bora).

I can't find an example of anyone actually doing any of these options on a 2010-2012 though, and I'm especially interested in the LR3 option (don't like the look of the Compomotive and the Mudtech are not available here in the States).

Thank you for your help. I'm close to landing a 2012 HSE, which I plan to use for overlanding / family camping, and I want to understand if 20" wheels and tires are realistically my only option (either the 265 G2s or 275 KO2s)...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
LR3/LR4 rims are interchangeable with L322 and L320 thanks to the same bolt pattern and hubs. Why would you need adapters? Do you actually mean spacers? In the end I have never heard of anyone fitting 18" factory rims to the last gen L322 due to the larger brakes. depending on the shape of the inner wheel spacers may solve that... but your ride and tracking may be impacted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is what I'm asking: fitting 18" LR3 wheels on a 2010-2012 HSE due to the larger brakes. On LR4's for instance, you have to either go with aftermarket wheels designed to fit over the calipers (Compomotive or Mudtech) or add a 1"-1.25" wheel adapter to push the LR3 wheel out far enough to clear the brakes. (aka spacers, although I think of spacers as just a metal shim vs. these adapters bolt to the hub, torqued to spec, and then have their own studs)

I believe the brakes are slightly different on the late model L322s, and I've not seen anyone confirm if the 18" is possible (apart from a comment from Scott Brady on his LR4 build thread). From what you are saying though, no one on this forum has talked about this in the past.

I'll re-check brake dimensions to see how different these two vehicles are... thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked it up and the brakes are the same diameter between both the LR4 and the 2010 Range Rover (14.2 inches), so I'm going to assume the same 18" wheel options apply from the LR4. I can't find info on the caliper size, which may still be different.

The different offset will be interesting given the adapters will push out an already lower offset LR3 wheel...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
It's not the rotor diameter or the calipers that is the issue. It is the carrier that rubs on the inside of the 18" factory rims.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
Following back up to see if you did indeed become the Guinea pig? I am pending on a deal with a 2012 FF HSE, and first thing to go will be the 19’s. Wondering if I can use 18” LR3 wheels with a 1” Terrafirma spacer (the setup I had on my LR3) and clear, or, if i’ll Need to go with 20’s and a good AT tire. Either way, the 19’s are going

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I have not taken the plunge yet. I'm going to wear out my Nitto TG's before I make a switch. My indy mechanic did confirm the brakes up front are the same size as the LR4, but the caliper is a different part (so not 100% sure). It is still probably the #1 option for me unless I can find a way to easily fit a 32.5" tire (new LT265/60/R20 BFG KO2 would be perfect).

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
322 Posts
I'm confused as to why 18" would be preferable to 19". I had an LR3 with 18" for 10 years and there was a limited choice of AT tires - unless you went off spec. I have an L322 with 19" wheels and I have introduced three tires brands into the mix (Continental, Cooper, Goodyear), and lost a couple of other choices (Nitto, Hankook). I'm currently running Continental Terraincontact ATs - and like them a lot.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
322 Posts
Indeed. I do very limited rock-crawling, but lots of rough and rutted dirt/gravel, and I only need one make of tires to have 19" ATs - I always buy whatever is cheapest - the LR3 wore out tires in about 30k miles, and I had precision 4-wheel alignments done every time I switched them out, and I rotated them - it'll be interesting to see what the L322 does. Some folks in the post said they'd take 20's over 19's, that's even less sidewall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts