RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people's opinions of the missing wood above the corner dash vents on the '18 L405? I miss it, but like the other changes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s something that I really liked when I chose my 17MY car; it looks very expensive :thumb:

There’s a lot like about the new car, but this just looks like highly visible cost cutting to me and I really don’t like it :sad: It’s not even as if they’ve used the opportunity to get rid of a join, as there’s still a seam in the leather (or plastic) on the top of the dash where the new infill sits.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is is possible that the newly configurable mood lighting now extends all the way across the leading edge of the upper dashboard necessitating the break of the wood near the top of the vents?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, that could be nice; of course they could have removed the join in that case, since they are going for a "more refined" interior. The increased field of leather from A-pillar to A-pillar gives the illusion of an uninterrupted wider surface, but if I could spec for the vent wood to remain, I would. Overall I am still very pleased with the changes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Interesting.

So, “full wood” would appear to be reserved for the high end versions now, complete with a very tacky join where it used to be continuous.

With the lack of wood, a DVD player now taking up the upper glovebox (instead of being dash mounted), there being no winged head restraints, no integrated rear DVD option (only the tablets jutting out of the back of the seats), a poor colour choice (for anyone that wants their car to actually be in colour!), no adaptive Xenon option (I’ve tried LED’s on the Discovery and not been impressed), there being no firm evidence that a roof rack can be fitted yet AND a price increase, I’m unbelievably glad that I put my order in just before the change over! :thumb:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Wow, another round of folks getting upset at model level changes... it;s part of automotive evolution folks. If you don;t like the visual changes, don;t buy it. If you like the tech changes, rethink you priorities.

Some folks just can;t move beyond what is offered and insist, like has been beat to death, that for XX$ Range Rover should bow to every other company and match their tech , colours, and product.

Learn your LRNA history folks. Range Rover has never been ahead of the curve in anything but off road abilities. Range Rover was laughed at for having carpets, electric windows, A/C..... the list is long and steady. You want the latest garb, toys and electronics, buy something else that folks are spouting off about. If you want a Range Rover buy it for what it has, don;t buy one and whine about what some other make has... that's just childish sour grapes and lack of research.

So a piece of kindling may or may not be missing depending on the package chosen. if that hunk of wood is so important, move up the scale and buy an autobiography to get it. a piece of trim is NOT that big of a deal when choosing a car for your lifestyle and what you need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quickly followed by a “Land Rover should not be criticised by their customers” reply. You’re right, this is familiar territory ;)

It’s getting a little tiring when LR made a mess of the Freelander 2 / LR2 replacement and then, when I had to move to the Discovery 4 / LR4, LR ba***ed the replacement for that one up too; I then bought an L405 and now (it would seem) they’ve started to (to a much smaller extent) mess this one up as well.

Forgive me if I’m getting a bit exasperated with them! :doh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quickly followed by a “Land Rover should not be criticised by their customers” reply. You’re right, this is familiar territory ;)

It’s getting a little tiring when LR made a mess of the Freelander 2 / LR2 replacement and then, when I had to move to the Discovery 4 / LR4, LR ba***ed the replacement for that one up too; I then bought an L405 and now (it would seem) they’ve started to (to a much smaller extent) mess this one up as well.

Agreed...unless customer feedback is expressed and heard, how are manufacturers to learn of them? When Porsche no longer offered the manual transmission in their GT3, many many customers were outraged and raised a stink. Porsche listened and 3 years later, offered it again.

Just because they build it doesn't mean it's perfect or can't be criticized. And just because LRNA built it and has some history (that history has had tons of successes....but many not so great endeavors as well), doesn't mean their choices can't be questioned.

Import vehicle manufacturers never would have added cup holders had Chrysler not marketed them with the 1984 Minivan. And Range Rover would have never offered Remote Start unless US customers demanded that such a class vehicle have it (when nearly all other competitors offered it)

Criticism should be seen as important feedback for any company to help modulate and improve their offerings.

This isn't communism....

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts

LMAO, if it's that bad and that stressful for you then go purchase something else.

Given the huge success of the L405 product line it can hardly be called "messed up". It sure as heck can;t be compared that Freeloader crap they pushed off on our markets here that was a huge flop and waste of shipping to pollute our car crushers.:roll:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
82 Posts
Seems such an odd thing to do. On one hand, the materials/build quality seems out of this world on the new Range Rover (increased sound deadening, upgraded leather/stitching/brushed aluminum everywhere/wood), but on the other hand, they do strange things like removing half a pillar of wood trim, and then only offer it on a super upscale model, where even then it doesn't look as "clean" as last years model.

Maybe they were hard to manufacture and this was LRs sneaky way out? Who knows.

Personally, I don't see this as a big deal - but I get it. The car is like $140,000 done right, people should be allowed to complain and moan about small things and get away w it at this price tag.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks you Motorwerks and Flipster, it’s nice to know that we may openly discuss and air what we may see as a failing.

I have bought 3 new and 3 nearly new Land Rovers since 2011 - 5 with my own money, so I’m hardly anti LR! I’d like to continue running LR’s for many years to come. But it must only right to be able to criticise LR where they might deserve it :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts