Range Rovers Forum banner

18 Inch Wheels On L405 Range Rover

20K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  thegreatbandy 
#1 ·
I just made it happen and figured this post could help someone else searching for the information!

Wheels are the 18"x8" Compomotive PD1881: See HERE
I have 265/60/18 BFG KO2 tires fitted
Running on the street 45psi for the front, 50psi for the rear
Factory TPMS fits and works
Factory center caps fit very loosely, so they're held in with some clear silicone
Unsprung mass (weight) should pretty close to the 21" factory wheels & tires (about 78lbs, unscientifically weighed on my home scale)
Suspension height is unchanged from factory, access height works as normal with these tires
Front wheels are static balanced as the tolerances are TIGHT and dynamic balancing caused the wheel weights to make contact with the bottom of the steering knuckle / lower control arm area.
Rear calipers ever so slightly etch the inside of the wheel.

I may have been able to fit a slightly wider tire. Maybe I'll try that next time.
Ride quality is noticeably better, which is to be expected when the sidewall doubles!
Purchased the wheels through Lucky 8: Lucky8LLC.com

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks! Dynamic gives better results but requires more weights. Here's a quick image explaination:

Beautiful! I used to run these on my LR3 with 265/65/18. Did you look into 265/65/18?
How's the road noise vs. street tires?
I didn't actually. I wanted as close to factory diameter as possible, at least initially. In my experience tire size #s are not very uniform across brands and this was my first BFG purchase. Turns out there a bit thinner than internet math would suggest.

Road noise is no worse than the worn set of Pirelli tires they've replaced. These vehicles are a bit more insulated from noise than most though.

Looks great. I was thinking of a similar set up but was informed by another member that certain engines wont work. IE, i have a 5.0 Supercharged with larger rotors and brakes. Please post up what your stock set up is so others can make an informed decision.

I would love a smaller wheel but it might not work 'out of the box' without swapping out the rotors and/or brakes.
Sorry, vehicle info is in my signature. In case others missed it this is a 2016 TD6. So yeah, this WON'T fit larger caliper models like the SC. I guess you could downgrade your calipers... but that doesn't seem worth it!

#7 ·
looks great!
i'll try this!

Reactions: Onyx Z32
#8 ·
Looks great. I was thinking of a similar set up but was informed by another member that certain engines wont work. IE, i have a 5.0 Supercharged with larger rotors and brakes. Please post up what your stock set up is so others can make an informed decision.

I would love a smaller wheel but it might not work 'out of the box' without swapping out the rotors and/or brakes.

#11 ·
Wow. This is exactly what I needed. I also have a ‘16 TD6 and was looking for a wheel/tire combo for mild off roading around Colorado, but was thinking 19s were the best I could do. You’ve had these for awhile now, any further thoughts? The tolerances were so tight the rear calipers rubbed a bit?

#12 ·
You’ve had these for awhile now, any further thoughts? The tolerances were so tight the rear calipers rubbed a bit?
I've put several thousand miles on this setup already (I drive a LOT) and there really isn't much more to report. Yes, keep in mind the rear calipers will scour / rub the inside of the rear wheels for a few miles and leave marks. You won't be able to see the marks unless you remove the wheels, but they'll be there. You'll need to pay close attention to the balancing so no wheel weights are placed where the front & rear calipers / control arms hit them.

I have NOT taken this vehicle off road. Keep in mind the tolerances are so tight that debris getting into the wheels might cause a jam. I did have a stone once get into the rear wheel causing a grinding as I was driving. The solution was to simply reverse the truck to get it to fall out, but I imagine it left a nice mark in there.

If you don't care about the overall condition of your wheels, and the cosmetic condition in places that most likely will never be seen other than by yourself or your mechanic, then this setup is for you, lol. ;)

Give Lucky 8 a call and let them know you spoke with Josh on this site about them if you're interested in buying. (I don't work for them, nor do I have any sort of referral or commission for recommending them FYI.)

Recent pics with the new Defender:

#15 ·
It's a good look, but you gave up 1/2" of overall diameter and I don't see the point if you can't take it off road. Did you consider the stock 19s with 255/65/19? There are now Duratracs in that size thanks to the Defender.

#17 ·
I never had the 19" wheels (mine was optioned with the 21" Autobiography wheels) so that wasn't an option. I specifically wanted BFG KO2 tires, so I chose the size that was available closest to factory diameter. I honestly can't remember if I compromised on overall diameter or not, but I spend 90% of my time on pavement anyway so I care more about unsprung mass & rolling resistance.

I live in an area with heavy snow and travel to the Adirondacks frequently, so I wanted an on-road setup with a tire that could transition between surfaces and surface conditions without skipping a beat. And this setup does exactly what I need it to. (y)

#21 ·
For anyone finding this thread, be aware that there's a company using my photo & RR claiming I have their lift kit installed and "caliper swap" when I have neither. They've made this claim on this forum and other social media sites. They're simply lying to sell their product.

Screenshot:

#26 ·
No recent pics... and if I do post any I'm putting a watermark on them ;)

And no complaints. As I mentioned previously, the ride is smooth and noticeably different from low profile tires that I don't think I can go back.

are these the et44 offset or the et27 offset?
I honestly can't remember. But it's the same fitment as LR5 / Discovery 5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.