RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on the literature that the '18 has "upgrades" to the Adaptive Cruise Control. I have to say, my '17 HSE TD6 is absolutely scary compared to my BMWs. In general terms, cars can be at a complete stop 1/4 mile or so ahead of you and RR will accelerate until it gets to the spot where you have set the distance control then slam on the brakes. Technically, what I think is going on is that the camera (or radar? or both?) is not looking farther than the distance control setting. In my BMWs ('16 435xic and now '18 440xic) the camera and radar look farther ahead and it starts slowing down far before the set distance if cars are stopped ahead of me.

I'm wondering what you all with '18s think of the "upgraded" system. Waiting to order my '19.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
54 Posts
I can’t speak for the 17, but I have a 2018 spec’d out Range Rover sport HSE, and I’ve not noticed any problem with the adaptive cruise control. It seems to work very similarly to my 2017 Mercedes. I suspect they’ve corrected whatever problem you had in the 17. I definitely do not feel unsafe in the 18. I use the feature, pretty often. Also, the lane keep assist is pretty good in the 18. Not perfect, but pretty good. As good as the Mercedes system..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was under the impression that the ACC will only pick up on moving objects in front of you - not stationary ones. I could be wrong. Don't remember what the manual reads. My experience has been, with the ACC on and set, it doesn't seem to pick up on stopped cars in front of me. But, I have never let the car get as close as the distance setting might allow but applied the brakes myself as it didn't seem like the car was going to stop. For instance - on a two lane road and the traffic down the road a bit is stopped at a red light and there is a moving car in front of me and that car moves out of the lane. My car speeds up to close the distance, but the car in front of me is stopped----always seems like my car accelerates and is not going to stop so I intervene. I've learned now in those cases to just hit cancel and take over.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
No, that's not how ACC works. It's especially FOR ANY thing in front of you whether moving or stopped. On every ACC equipped car I've driven the camera/radar looks far up the road and starts to decelerate when it senses something not moving ahead. It then comes to a slow and controlled stop. That's why my '17 is so jarring. It will keep accelerating until it gets two or three car lengths away then slam on the brakes. (I usually don't let this happen now that I know it's flawed.) From brochure: "Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist and High-Speed Emergency Braking works when you’recruising on the highway or traveling in slow-moving traffic, it is designed to keep your vehicle a setdistance from the one in front should it slow or stop. Should the vehicle in front stop completely,your vehicle is designed to come to a smooth stop*. Once the traffic moves, simply touch the acceleratorand Adaptive Cruise Control will resume following the vehicle in front. The system can be activatedfrom 12 mph up to highway speeds. If a collision is unavoidable, Adaptive Cruise Control will engageHigh-Speed Emergency Braking*."

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hummm, my manual states, "Additionally, adaptive cruise control control does not react to: - Stationary or slow moving vehicles traveling below 6 mph or 10km/h".

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I haven't read the manual or driven with adaptive cruise control on this car yet. But on most cars there are two systems, adaptive cruise control and stop and go, although for the user they are combined. The stop and go at low speeds will detect slow moving and stopped cars, which works great in traffic. The adaptive cruise control that you would usually use on a highway or at higher speeds will not detect stationary objects. This is true on most all cars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Really strange, I just saw that. Totally unlike every other ACC out there (that I've had/driven). I thought there was something wrong with mine! Interestingly though, my 2016 worked just like my other cars and would stop if traffic stopped.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Really strange, I just saw that. Totally unlike every other ACC out there (that I've had/driven). I thought there was something wrong with mine! Interestingly though, my 2016 worked just like my other cars and would stop if traffic stopped.
I believe if you read the BMW and Volvo manual you will find the same language. No adaptive cruise control reacts to stationary vehicles.

Edit---

Volvo

BMW

The system does not decelerate when a stationary obstacle is located in the same lane, e.g., a vehicle at a red traffic light or at the end of traffic congestion.
The system also does not respond to:
▷ Pedestrians or similarly slow road users.
▷ Red traffic lights.
▷ Stationary objects.
▷ Cross traffic.
▷ Approaching traffic.

http://www.bavarianmw.com/guide-715.html

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Amazing what you find when you read the manual. Remember that the ACC has three different modes, as well as two braking modes (if equipped).

The two modes most people don;t take the time to learn are follow mode and queue assist. These are dependent on and very sensitive to your gap setting. The gap setting returns to a midrange default with each startup. Follow mode will apply brakes and throttle. Queue assist operates at slower speeds and will go so far as to apply the emergency brake if you are not paying attention.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the BMW (440xic) DOES react and stop to a stopped vehicle in front it...that is my second car and I use the ACC all the time.

I believe if you read the BMW and Volvo manual you will find the same language. No adaptive cruise control reacts to stationary vehicles.

Edit---

Volvo

BMW

The system does not decelerate when a stationary obstacle is located in the same lane, e.g., a vehicle at a red traffic light or at the end of traffic congestion.
The system also does not respond to:
▷ Pedestrians or similarly slow road users.
▷ Red traffic lights.
▷ Stationary objects.
▷ Cross traffic.
▷ Approaching traffic.

http://www.bavarianmw.com/guide-715.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm talking about real world experience. The BMW definitely DOES look ahead and react and stop for vehicles that are stopped (at a stop light, for example). I'm on my 4th one with ACC. I've only driven the Volvo twice, as rentals, but I'm pretty sure it did as well, as I didn't have to use the brakes my self during Miami traffic. Manuals aren't always correct as there are so many variations of them and many things in them are created by lawyers, whether true or not. Real world driving is.

Amazing what you find when you read the manual. Remember that the ACC has three different modes, as well as two braking modes (if equipped).

The two modes most people don;t take the time to learn are follow mode and queue assist. These are dependent on and very sensitive to your gap setting. The gap setting returns to a midrange default with each startup. Follow mode will apply brakes and throttle. Queue assist operates at slower speeds and will go so far as to apply the emergency brake if you are not paying attention.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm talking about real world experience. The BMW definitely DOES look ahead and react and stop for vehicles that are stopped (at a stop light, for example). I'm on my 4th one with ACC. I've only driven the Volvo twice, as rentals, but I'm pretty sure it did as well, as I didn't have to use the brakes my self during Miami traffic. Manuals aren't always correct as there are so many variations of them and many things in them are created by lawyers, whether true or not. Real world driving is.

I have had many BMW's with ACC. The BMW will stop at low speeds using the stop and go, but get the BMW up to 50+ MPH and see if it will stop for a car already at a stoplight. It is designed not to stop, because if the system detects stationary objects it would have too many false positives. The same thing happened in the Tesla crash the other day. Auto Pilot ran straight into a fire truck at 65 MPH that was stopped at a stop light.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had many BMW's with ACC. The BMW will stop at low speeds using the stop and go, but get the BMW up to 50+ MPH and see if it will stop for a car already at a stoplight. It is designed not to stop, because if the system detects stationary objects it would have too many false positives. The same thing happened in the Tesla crash the other day. Auto Pilot ran straight into a fire truck at 65 MPH that was stopped at a stop light.
Yes, agreed it's not going to stop at freeway speeds. However the BMW does stop from around 45 MPH once it sees cars slowing/stopped in front. I have this experience nearly every other weekend on a divided rural road in the N GA mountains where the speed goes from 65 to 55 to 45 then rounds a corner to a stop light. I use the speed control to bring the speed down then the car (BMW) stops if the light is red and there are cars there (it won't see the red light and stop) or keeps going if the car is green. As I take the BMW to the mountains around 50% of the time, and have been doing so for 4 different cars, I don't think I'm remembering incorrectly. I don't think this is a flaw of the LR, necessarily. Really I was just pointing it out because my '14 and '16 RRs DID act just like my BMW does. The '17 doesn't. They have done some changes which have resulted in them changing the manual to state "does not react" to "may not react" from '17 to '18. I was asking for people with '18s to share their experience. Guys it's totally alright to admit that any vehicle has differences even, dare I say, deficiencies (or what someone may believe is a deficiency.). It's not "bashing" a marque to talk about it. LR is not your 4 year old in preschool that you have to protect from bullies.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes, agreed it's not going to stop at freeway speeds. However the BMW does stop from around 45 MPH once it sees cars slowing/stopped in front. I have this experience nearly every other weekend on a divided rural road in the N GA mountains where the speed goes from 65 to 55 to 45 then rounds a corner to a stop light. I use the speed control to bring the speed down then the car (BMW) stops if the light is red and there are cars there (it won't see the red light and stop) or keeps going if the car is green. As I take the BMW to the mountains around 50% of the time, and have been doing so for 4 different cars, I don't think I'm remembering incorrectly. I don't think this is a flaw of the LR, necessarily. Really I was just pointing it out because my '14 and '16 RRs DID act just like my BMW does. The '17 doesn't. They have done some changes which have resulted in them changing the manual to state "does not react" to "may not react" from '17 to '18. I was asking for people with '18s to share their experience. Guys it's totally alright to admit that any vehicle has differences even, dare I say, deficiencies (or what someone may believe is a deficiency.). It's not "bashing" a marque to talk about it. LR is not your 4 year old in preschool that you have to protect from bullies.
Sorry, maybe I got sidetracked here. I agree that the cars should slow down and come to a complete stop if it is following a vehicle, I was just stating that stationary objects are not able to be currently detected by any cruise control system unless you are at low speeds.

I haven't had a chance to test out the 2018 ACC yet, my car is currently getting sidesteps installed. But I will let you know how it compares to the other cars when I get the car back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts