·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
DUB Edition :roll: Was DUMB even around back in 1996? What a joke. :doh:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have not found that station /:(

But the other day I did get 17 mpg US coming back from taking my wife to work 8-0= I hit every light for about 15 miles green instead of the usual 1/2 reds. The front driveshaft was off as well. Getting ready to change a part time seized VC. Feels about a ton lighter and the mileage jumped by 2 to 4 mpg with the driveshaft off. But not 18 to 22 good /:(

·
Registered
361 Posts
A lot can depend upon how much you press the ´loud pedal´. If you drive sedately and think there is an egg on the gas pedal then you should get fairly good milage - drive steadily and plan ahead. On the other hand if you think ´well I´ve got 8 cylinders so let´s use all of them´ then you will get bad milage.
Now I will make you cry into your beer. My 1995 4.6 with 116,000kms gives me about 10.8-11L/100k (25mpg) when I do 75-80kph - thats about 45-50mph. When I hit the open road (100kph/63mph) consumption goes up to about 12.7L/100k(21mpg). These figures are an average only and are based upon that the trip computer tells me and also upon differing weather conditions. My around-town figures seem to be about 13.5-14L/100k. One tip that I was given is to use the cruice control when ever possible - not just on those long 200 mile trips. I will use mine if there is even a 2-3 mile section at the same speed as it seems to take the human factor out of the equation.
I must reiterate that the above milage figures are taken from the trip computer and I am assuming that it is reasonably accurate - but then again we are talking about Rangie. As I understand it a lot of the bad economy is because of the weird chip tuning that the engineers had to use to get around the various emission law in different countries.

This article tells it better than I can - http://www.rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/e ... index.html

As an observation I have reason to believe that the old girl runs a little lean below 2000rpm and then excessively rich over 2000rpm so try keeping the cruising revs below 2000 (if practical) and see what happens.

Just some thoughts based upon my own abservations. Also the above gallon figures are imperial gallons not the smaller US gallon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is the most misleading add I’ve ever seen. The 24 mpg's isn’t even that interesting,

"This Rover comes with warranties from PDX ROVER, LES SCHWAB, and LAND ROVER of Portland for work done in 2008-2009" They tell nothing of the warrantee!

“The accessories alone are worth $5,000"
The current market dictates what something is worth, not what you paid for it at the time. He will be lucky to get 5k for a 1996 in our market, I paid 5k for a 1998 and 55,000 thousand less miles on it.

Cheezy Les Schwab wheels = 400.00 on a good day but lucky to get 250.00
Brush Gaurd = 300.00 I suppose
Alpine CD changer & head unit = 125.00 on Craigslist
Crooked American Flag side window sticker = depends on how patriotic you are
Cross Bars = I have a set hanging in the garage that I don’t know what to do with
Crappy fake wood trim kit = Ebay 150.00
DUB edition badges = worthless

His son should be grateful that he doesn’t have to drive around in the "Dork Edition" Cheers to bad grades!

I’m just joshing around though, don’t take it so literal `)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I reckon that the only people smiling are the one who helped him spend his money - probably just to make it road worthy by the look of what has been done. And since he didn´t mention having the engine rechipped (Tornado etc) I reckon that he is just playing with himself to say 24mpg - and US gallons to boot.

And of course almost all the features that he braggs on about are standard anyway - as far as I know you can´t get the hse model WITHOUT all the whistles and bells. It´s all or nothing.

Well it makes for a good taking (laughing) point anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My average is 15-18 normal driving and on a 200 mile run I see about 22-24. But if you want ecomney you by a 4 motion 3 cylinder polo that has 17.5 bhp and no room for you're shopping!!

The best I've had it 170miles on £22 of LPG!!!!

We drive a something that is twice the size of a normal car that has a engine twice the size to power it so it gona have the same ecomney as 2 normal cars which is about 18ish mpg......

I run mine on lpg so it's not too bad on the wallet and I get a luxury car with a HUGE roaring V8.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rowant said:
A lot can depend upon how much you press the ´loud pedal´. If you drive sedately and think there is an egg on the gas pedal then you should get fairly good milage - drive steadily and plan ahead. On the other hand if you think ´well I´ve got 8 cylinders so let´s use all of them´ then you will get bad milage.
Now I will make you cry into your beer. My 1995 4.6 with 116,000kms gives me about 10.8-11L/100k (25mpg) when I do 75-80kph - thats about 45-50mph. When I hit the open road (100kph/63mph) consumption goes up to about 12.7L/100k(21mpg). These figures are an average only and are based upon that the trip computer tells me and also upon differing weather conditions. My around-town figures seem to be about 13.5-14L/100k. One tip that I was given is to use the cruice control when ever possible - not just on those long 200 mile trips. I will use mine if there is even a 2-3 mile section at the same speed as it seems to take the human factor out of the equation.
I'm sure my fuel consumption would be less in Christchurch. I got stuck in the rush hour down there once, added about 10 mins to my journey (and that was going round Hagley Park). Then there's those beaut straight roads with minimal traffic in every direction (except Banks Peninsula).

Out of interest, what's you fully comprehensive car insurance worth down there?
Mine's $420 full comp or $180 3rd part, fire & theft. (In GBP that's about 200quid fully comp or 90quid 3rd party!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
rogan said:
Out of interest, what's you fully comprehensive car insurance worth down there?
Mine's $420 full comp or $180 3rd part, fire & theft. (In GBP that's about 200quid fully comp or 90quid 3rd party!)
My 1998 Ltd Edt is £390 fully comp for a 40 yr old with full no claims.....

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would never put those embarrassing rims on my truck. Just another person trying to market away their problems.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My insurance is just a touch over $500 - fully comprehensive (including windscreen cover!!). That´s for a value of $14,000 - I was able to be in the right place at the right time to get a real bargain at 115,000kms and $10,500. Ok so it needs some minor work but I don´t mind and I am learning something new every time I touch the old girl - and it´s still miles better than my old ´75 classic in almost every respect - the air suspension is still no where near as supple as the coils.

I can imagine that economy would suffer a bit in Wellington or Dunedin - you either going up or coming down yet another bloody hill.

I agree about the wheels - maybe he is trying to compensate for something . . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts