RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says... I just went to the Dealer for 8 quarts of Castrol Professional and an OEM Filter... This is after I went to Wall-Mart and looked at all the Penzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, & Mobil-1 premium oil they had... and zero of it matched or met the STJLR.51.5122 Specs in either 0w-20 or 5w-20 weight/viscosity...

I don't mind paying $37 for the Dealer Filter and always will... just as I was always advised to do that by their Master Mechanic that replaced the "AJ-V8" engine 1500 miles ago... But $14 for a quart of oil is a bit excessive... Anyone know what brand meets the JLR's "STJLR.51.5122" spec and where to obtain it sans/other than the Dealership??? Off to change to oil now.

Thanks fellas!

-Ham

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
317 Posts
I would say try the Jaguar dealers, but they're probably even more expensive.

Check out www.opieoils.co.uk, they have a tool on the website that shows you the right oil for your car.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
At Atlantic British you can get 9 qts. of Castrol 5W-20 PLUS the oil filter, o-ring, and a new drain plug for $150. Yeah, it's ultimately the same price for the oil, but at least the folks at Atlantic British seem decent.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
this is what my handbook specifies:

"SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A.
If unavailable, SAE 0W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122 may be used."

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent replies guys! Thank you all!...

Oil change is a breeze with the pump! It's the filter that was a"B"... I have a 3 prong "claw-type" wrench that attaches to a 1/2" drive that is wonderful for removing the filter... However, it only works ONE-WAY... In the "Off" position... It doesn't work for the "ON" position. Do I need to buy a "3-Prong-ON" position only wrench to compliment the "Off-3-Prong" wrench? I tried my traditional oil wrenches of 75mm, 79mm, and 93mm steel clamp sized wrenches.... However, the Rover's size is a [email protected]@rd, "In-Between" size... somewheres about 87mm if I had to guess. Does anyone know the specific oil wrench size? And using a strap-wrench is useless as you can't get to it with the intake parts. Thanks again fellas for answering the aforementioned Original Post Question... And thanks again for answering this. I got it on snug alright... But my knuckles, fingers, and wrist are hating me for it and it shouldn't be this hard!

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
34 Posts
If you want another option, Blauparts has a Ravenol kit (8 liters of STJLR.51.5122 0W20 and a filter) for $110 with free shipping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Excellent replies guys! Thank you all!...

Oil change is a breeze with the pump! It's the filter that was a"B"... I have a 3 prong "claw-type" wrench that attaches to a 1/2" drive that is wonderful for removing the filter... However, it only works ONE-WAY... In the "Off" position... It doesn't work for the "ON" position. Do I need to buy a "3-Prong-ON" position only wrench to compliment the "Off-3-Prong" wrench? I tried my traditional oil wrenches of 75mm, 79mm, and 93mm steel clamp sized wrenches.... However, the Rover's size is a [email protected]@rd, "In-Between" size... somewheres about 87mm if I had to guess. Does anyone know the specific oil wrench size? And using a strap-wrench is useless as you can't get to it with the intake parts. Thanks again fellas for answering the aforementioned Original Post Question... And thanks again for answering this. I got it on snug alright... But my knuckles, fingers, and wrist are hating me for it and it shouldn't be this hard!
LR uses a 90mm oil filter wrench for 3.0 and 5.0 gas engines. Rare in auto parts stores in the US but 5-6 bucks on Amazon all day long.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LR uses a 90mm oil filter wrench for 3.0 and 5.0 gas engines. Rare in auto parts stores in the US but 5-6 bucks on Amazon all day long.
Thank God you know the size! I went to the store and tried every single oil filter wrench AdvancedAuto to no avail. I'm ordering a 90mm one from Amazon. Thank you Gpplutta!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank God you know the size! I went to the store and tried every single oil filter wrench AdvancedAuto to no avail. I'm ordering a 90mm one from Amazon. Thank you Gpplutta!
No problem. I did the same thing before I found the right size.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is what my handbook specifies:

"SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting specification WSS-M2C925-A.
If unavailable, SAE 0W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122 may be used."
You are absolutely correct as I just opened my manual. WSS-M2C925-A in 5W-20 is the first choice in the manual... If it cannot be easily sourced and/or if you live in a climate where the temps regularly get below 39* Fahrenheit then go with the STJLR.51.5122 is the way I took it. The Land Rover North Atlanta swears by the STJLR.51.5122 Castrol Professional 0W-20 and has it stacked half the way to their supply room ceiling. 90% of engine wear happens upon a cold start up after the heat soak dissipates... They "Dealership" claims that the 0w-20 gets dispersed into every part of the engine faster than the 5w-20 upon start up according to their internal updates and in-house memo's they relayed to me. Being in the deep south sub 40* weather believe it or not happens quite frequently from late November to mid-March randomly especially at sunrise... But I would have no problem running the 5w-20 being my Rover is Garage kept...

I did get a 9.5Liter Oil Sump Pump ordered and an AES aluminum "JLR-Approved" billet aluminum 15 "Leaf" 90mm oil wrench for both the 3.0L and 5.0Liter Engines from Amazon. It will be here May 7th which is a ridiculous shipping time for a Prime member but these aren't normal times... I'm excited to get them both here as the Oil Sump Pump I borrowed from a friend made this oil change the cleanest I've ever performed in my 25 years of changing our vehicles oil!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yep, for a cold climate, I would also use the oil with the lowest cold viscosity, as this will ensure that oil gets around the engine as quickly as possible.

Our climate is not that cold: lowest I've ever seen in my town is around 4C, average winter temps is 12-16C. But it's not uncommon to see 40C-45C in summer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Found it for $11/L at Summit:

According to Mobil, it meets JLR spec:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found it for $11/L at Summit:

According to Mobil, it meets JLR spec:
Nice work Mstrjosua! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Summit's pretty convenient if there's one near you. I think the kit for 95$ is a better deal though.

Evidently this spec oil is gaining popularity. Hopefully soon it ends up at AutoZone or Slow-Rielly's.

On the topic of overpriced dealer services, is anything required by the dealer in order to avoid issues with the warranty? I will not be paying $300+ for an oil change. I've also never been one to pay $1200 for a scheduled maintenance of a car that's perfectly fine. You don't need to do things like change brake fluid every 30k miles. I've had more issues with dealer repairs than ones I've had independent shops or done myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts