RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
145K mile '03 RR 4.4 progressively only selecting lower gears, only reaches3 or 2 now

Guys, this just happend to me on the way home.
Car's been driving fine, then I noticed it was 'a little revvy' from it's normal cruising speed/revs.

It progressively rejected 5th, then a short while later 4th, then third, and eventually wouldn't go higher than second gear, and really thumps into second when I can get third.

I've had spurious gearbox temperature warnings before. MAybe two hours of varies driving, ambient temp 70F.

Interestingly, I got an 'offroad max 30mph' message in the middle there somewhere....

NO trouble codes.

NO dash warnings (except the one instance of the above off road warning)

NO dash lights or any other symptoms.

Shifter appears to be acting correctly, hi/low switch untouched, new TSM last year/early this year.

I'll run RSW on it and revert back.... any ideas?

D2

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 145K mile '03 RR 4.4 progressively only selecting lower gears, only reaches3 or 2

So, RSW reveled no trouble codes or issues with the transmission. Used car again today, and it had been driving fine for about an hour, then same symptoms re-occured. It was very hot out (90 degrees) so am I looking at a transmission cooler issue? This only happens after a while of driving so far....

Anyone? Dave, you out there?:confused:

D2

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Re: 145K mile '03 RR 4.4 progressively only selecting lower gears, only reaches3 or 2

Most likely your radiator or oil cooler

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Yeah, with the lack of fault codes, I would be looking at the cooling system too.

I generally replace the radiator and trans cooler(along with the trans cooler t-stat) at the same time for these issues, as the same restriction that occurs in the radiator, can happen in the cooler too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts