RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a '14 RRS Supercharged that I picked up in April. Great car so far (except for an out of warranty rear differential leak). I keep having this code pop up though, P0420 - “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).” I have had this since May. I had the catalyst converter replaced in June under emissions warranty. I am now getting it again, slowly but more often now. Is it possible that my VelocityAP tune is causing my cats to go bad fast? I took it to a shop and they said have the dealer replace your catalytic converter for you again. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem due to a tune, so I am not sure if that is the root cause or if the 02 sensors are bad or something along those lines. Anyone have expereince with this issue or have any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
From My experience with tune's... (albeit not with Rover's but with other hi-performance engine's and bi-turbo engines) are that they lean the fuel/air mixture out with better timing to make more power instead of pouring more fuel in with less air... The latter would cause 02 sensor and cat burn off problems... thus ruining CAT's prematurely... I doubt that is the problem here that you are experiencing but who knows. Someone with more experience will come along and clarify.

I'm just getting somewhat used to my 14' RRS Supercharged in Dynamic Mode. I can't imagine even more power... yet... But HP and TQ gets addictive quick so I can totally understand why anyone would want all they can get out of their 5.0Liter Supercharged for sure! I ran a SSI tune with a "SCT" tuner in my Explorer Sport 3.5L Bi-Turbo and it made 5.4 second 0-60 times in "Sand-Mode" with regularity for the last 2 years. But That SUV doesn't compare to my new to us 14' Rover Sport Supercharged in Dynamic mode though! That car had a little guy "Complex" with turbo's trying to be a big guy with a supercharger... Doesn't compare!

15' Explorer Sport

14' RRS Supercharged... No Comparison!

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Burble tune according to Stuart is initiated in a way that does not harm the catalytic converters.

Use a laser temp gun and read the front and the back of both cats.. Exit temp should be higher than the inlet..this will make sure that the cat is really bad, or if there is an air leak upstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burble tune according to Stuart is initiated in a way that does not harm the catalytic converters.

Use a laser temp gun and read the front and the back of both cats.. Exit temp should be higher than the inlet..this will make sure that the cat is really bad, or if there is an air leak upstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe I will try that. I took it to a shop that specializes in Land Rover and said there were no exhaust leaks and the sensors were within spec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts