RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first post. I have a new to me RR Sport and have run into a few issues pretty quick. While my wife is out running errands the truck begins idling really rough and the check engine light comes on. She brings it back to the house and I took it for a spin and pulled the codes. Anything above idle and it seems fine. However, at idle it acts like it wants to die and the battery light begins to intermittently illuminate.

I brought it back to the house and now it won't start due to a low battery. I pulled the following codes.

PO301 CYL 1 misfire
P0302 CYL 2 misfire
P0304 CYL 4 misfire
P0306 CYL 6 misfire
P0308 CYL 8 misfire
P0300 Random- multiple misfire
P0316 misfire on startup - first 1000 revolutions
P2279 Intake Air System Leak

Any ideas?

Also, I read somewhere the battery can't be charged while connected to the vehicle. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jason

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
There is no reason not to charge the battery while in the vehicle. Use the jump posts provided for jump starting to connect your charger.

You have two possibilities here. Failing alternator or failing battery. If it is the original battery it would completely make sense that it is simply worn out and not holding a charge. Short trips also don't give the alternator a chance to bring it back up from starting. A failing alternator would be a stretch, but a bad battery can overwork an alternator.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,982 Posts
2013? How many miles? Failing battery can give lots of codes. Check battery first. I use a battery tender to my never used 2013 L320.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. Yes, 2013 w/ 47k. They didn't punch out the date holes on the battery so it's hard to know how old it is. It's an interstate mega-tron and I've had it trickle charging all day. It's been very cold here and my wife drives less than a mile to work so trips are very short. I'm going to take it for a test drive tomorrow and see if I can get the battery to hold a charge. I'll keep this thread updated.

Jason

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
51 Posts
I'd have the battery tested, that will tell you right away if the battery is good or bad. These problems definitely seem like they are by low voltage. Plus, if your alternator is bad, your car would probably stall out.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
It might also be the engine coolant temperature sensor: when these go bad, the ECU doesn't know to enrich the starting fuel shot or quick enrichening once the vehicle is warm. It is interesting that the back three cylinders on the left side are misfiring.

Maybe water in the gas freezing . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bingo Arby got it. Sometimes the codes really mean what they say. There's a small black hose (~1/4") coming off the intake just behind the throttle body and ties into a round gray connector labeled "Bosh" just above the drivers side valve cover. It has a giant hole in it at two spots. It actually looks like something has "chewed" through it, geez. There's a larger hose (~1") that runs from just behind the pass side mass air flow, bends to the top center of the intake manifold and runs into the firewall. No holes in this one but it's been scratched or chewed at as well. I can plug the above mentioned hole with my thumb and the truck begins idling as it should.

My plans from here:
1. figure out what those two hoses are called so I can get them on order.
2. figure what rodent I have living in the garage and kill it.

Any ideas on the two hoses? best place to purchase online?
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've ID'd the small damaged hose. It's LR010806, fuel vapor purge valve. Looks like I can get it here for about $100. The large one I though would be easiest to id is still unknown. Hopefully I'll id it shortly.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
820 Posts
Congrats on finding the leak. Sometimes vacuum leaks are very hard to find.

After you repair the leaks perhaps spraying on some stuff that deters animals might be a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts